Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Lancashire

01 February 2014

1898 – Townhall, Heaton Chapel, Lancashire

Architect: Hooley & Mee “This design, by Messrs. T.W. Hooley and F.W. Mee, of Manchester, was submitted in a recent limited competition, and aims at an endeavour to produce a suitable building picturesquely...

15 January 2014

1879 – Selected design for Public Market, Over Darwen, Lancashire

Architect: Charles Bell As part of a civic plan to develop the town, a competition was held to design a new town hall and market. It was later decided to defer the building...

06 January 2014

1850 – Sailors’ Home, Liverpool

Architect: John Cunningham Liverpool Sailors’ Home, was designed to provide safe, inexpensive lodging for sailors, and to offer educational and recreational opportunities. It operated from 1850 to July 1969. The building was demolished...

05 January 2014

1934 – Mersey Tunnel Building, Liverpool

Architect: Herbert James Rowse Constructed to contain both offices and ventilator equipment for the Queensway Tunnel. The tunnel entrances, toll booths and ventilation building exteriors were all designed by architect Herbert James Rowse....

05 January 2014

1934 – North John Street Ventilation Station, Liverpool

Architect: Herbert James Rowse Architect’s sketch proposal for ventilation station on Mersey tunnel. Grade II Listed building.

05 January 2014

1934 – Woodside Ventilation Station, Birkenhead, Lancashire

Architect: Herbert James Rowse One of six such installations serving the Queensway Mersey Tunnel, the Woodside Ventilation Station stands 150 foot tall. Like the other structures built for the tunnel, it was the...

01 January 2014

1898 – Technical School & Library, Colne, Lancashire

Architect: Woodhouse and Willoughby “This design was chosen last December, in an “open” competition, for the first place by Mr. S. W. Beaumont, F.E.I. B..\., Manchester, the assessor appointed by the corporation. The...

09 September 2013

1919 – Selected design for School, Chorley New Road, Bolton, Lancashire

Architect: Charles T. Adshead Now known as the Bolton School. Central block completed by 1928, the outer quadrangles added later, completed in 1965, fulfilling the original plan for the school. Charles T. Adshead...

01 July 2013

1914 – The Fletcher Moss Home, Didsbury, Lancashire

Architect: John Swarbrick Published in The Building News, September 19 1919: “This drawing, recently exhibited at this years Royal Academy, was prepared “before the’ war for Mr. Fletcher Moss, J.P., the author of...