Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Lancashire

12 February 2013

1868 – Warehousemen and Clerks’ Orphan Schools, Manchester

Architect: Ernest Bates Formed as The Manchester Warehousemen and Clerks’ Orphan Schools in 1855, moved to this site in 1869, and now known as Cheadle Hulme School. From The Building News: “ONE of...

15 January 2013

1898 – Fire Station, Bootle, Lancashire

Architect: Briggs & Wolstenholme Unbuilt design for new fire station for the Bootle area. A six-bay fire station was constructed several years later to a more modest design. “The accompanying view is reproduced...

01 December 2012

1855 – Holy Cross Church, Croston, Lancashire

Architect: E.W. Pugin Built as an estate chapel, it served as a Chapel of Ease to Ss Peter & Paul, Mawdesley for the first 26 years of its history, after which it fell...

08 November 2012

1857 – Art Treasures Exhibition Building, Manchester, Lancashire

Architect: Francis Fowke & Edward Salomons A temporary exhibition structure built to hold the ‘Art Treasures of Great Britain” from 5 May to 17 October 1857. The idea for an exhibition in Manchester...

08 November 2012

1864 – Assize Courts, Manchester, Lancashire

Architect: Alfred Waterhouse Designed by Alfred Waterhouse in the neo-Gothic style, construction began in 1859 and was completed in 1864. This was Waterhouse’s first major commission, won by open competition, and the nearby...

08 November 2012

1874 – Royal Exchange, Manchester, Lancashire

Architect: Mills & Murgatroyd The first Manchester cotton exchange opened in 1729 but closed by the end of the century. A second exhcnage by Thomas Harrison opened in 1809 and this was further...

04 September 2012

1870 – Market Hall, Burnley, Lancashire

Architect: James Green Constructed but without the planned tower. Contained 32 shops and 132 linear yards of stalls. The market area was covered by a three span wrought iron and glass roof. Demolished...

19 July 2012

1880 – Church of St. Matthew’s, Burnley, Lancashire

Architect: William Waddington The original building was designed by William Waddington, who was a local Victorian architect, responsible for many of the buildings in Burnley town centre. St Matthew’s contained some notable stained...

02 July 2012

1897 – House at Rochdale, Lancashire

Architect: Butterworth & Duncan Perspective view, ground and first floor plans. Published in The Building News, February 12th 1897.