Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Lancashire

08 November 2012

1864 – Assize Courts, Manchester, Lancashire

Architect: Alfred Waterhouse Designed by Alfred Waterhouse in the neo-Gothic style, construction began in 1859 and was completed in 1864. This was Waterhouse’s first major commission, won by open competition, and the nearby...

08 November 2012

1874 – Royal Exchange, Manchester, Lancashire

Architect: Mills & Murgatroyd The first Manchester cotton exchange opened in 1729 but closed by the end of the century. A second exhcnage by Thomas Harrison opened in 1809 and this was further...

04 September 2012

1870 – Market Hall, Burnley, Lancashire

Architect: James Green Constructed but without the planned tower. Contained 32 shops and 132 linear yards of stalls. The market area was covered by a three span wrought iron and glass roof. Demolished...

19 July 2012

1880 – Church of St. Matthew’s, Burnley, Lancashire

Architect: William Waddington The original building was designed by William Waddington, who was a local Victorian architect, responsible for many of the buildings in Burnley town centre. St Matthew’s contained some notable stained...

02 July 2012

1897 – House at Rochdale, Lancashire

Architect: Butterworth & Duncan Perspective view, ground and first floor plans. Published in The Building News, February 12th 1897.

02 July 2012

1900 – House, Blundellsands, Lancashire

Architect: J. Catterall Perspective published in The Building News, December 7th 1900.

02 July 2012

1900 – House at St. Anne’s on Sea, Lancashire

Architect: J. Catterall Perspective published in The Building News, December 7th 1900.

11 June 2012

1908 – Wesleyan Sunday School, Newton Heath, Manchester

Architect: Smith & Matley Published in The Building News, November 20th 1908. For a time, used for services after the main church across the street was demolished due to dry rot. Later demolished.

14 April 2012

1879 – Chapel for The Catholic Cemetery, Clitheroe, Lancashire

Architect: S.J. Nicholl Perspective & interior Views including plan published in The Building News, July 11th 1879.