Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Lancashire

15 March 2011

1874 – Skating Rink, Southport Winter Gardens, Lancashire

Architect: Maxwell & Tuke Designed by Maxwell & Tuke of Bury. Published in The Building News, December 24th 1875. The Winter Gardens were opened on 16 September 1874, on the sea front at...

20 February 2011

1899 – Haydock Park, Lancashire

Architect: Mangnall & Littlewoods “These buildings are nearing completion. The design was selected in a limited competition, the cost being about £H,000. The architects are Messrs. Mangnall and Littlewoods. The plan given with...

18 February 2011

1873 – Bolton Town Hall, Lancashire

Architects: Hill & Woodhouse A Grade II* listed Town Hall designed by William Hill and George Woodhouse and opened in June 1873 by Albert Edward, Prince of Wales. In the 1930s, the building...

17 February 2011

1858 – St. Francis Xavier Church, Liverpool, Lancashire

Architect: S.J. Nicholl Design for Altar & Reredos published in The Building News, January 1st. 1858.

06 February 2011

1930 – Lutyens’ design for new Cathedral, Liverpool

Architect: Sir Edwin Lutyens Following the purchase of a site at Brownlow Hill in 1930, Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869–1944) was commissioned to provide a design which would be an appropriate response to the...

05 February 2011

1906 – Tower Buildings, Liverpool

Architect: Walter Aubrey Thomas The present structure is one of the earliest steel-framed buildings in England, and details of its architecture reflect the earlier fortified building on the site. It is clad in...

02 February 2011

1876 – House at Northenden, Manchester, Lancashire

Architect: Bell & Roper Perspective View & Ground Plan published in The Building News, November 24th 1876. Designed for L.Ward esq.

02 February 2011

1876 – House at Manchester, Lancashire

Architect: Ed Salomons Perspective View incuding Plans, designed for Capt. H.A.Bennett, and published in The Building News, October 13th 1876.

02 February 2011

1872 – Church of St. Bridget, Wavertree, Liverpool

Architect: E.A. Heffer Elevation, section & plans from The Building News, December 8th 1876. The foundation stone was laid on 21 September 1868 and the church was consecrated in 1872. It was originally...