Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

libraries

21 January 2010

1905 – Carnegie Library, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Architect: George L. O’Connor Built in 1905 on a prominent corner site, the Carnegie Free library was designed by George L. O’Connor. Its dominant feature is the corbelled circular in plan, bartizan clock...

20 January 2010

1929 – Pembroke Library, Anglesea Road, Dublin

Architect: Arnold F. Hendy A graceful little library with a rather unfortunate porch attached. This small brick library just off Merrion Road and surrounded by RDS property has an interesting central bay. This...

07 January 2010

1905 – Former Library, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Built as a Carnegie Library in 1905, this simple mid terrace building features Jacobean gothic detailing and Art Nouveau lettering.

30 December 2009

1851 – Library, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architects: Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon Designed by Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon as a small Gothic Revival church in 1851, it was converted in 1954 into a Library. The former manse of 1867 is...

30 December 2009

1906 – The Mitchell Library, Glasgow

Architect: William B.Whitie The Mitchell Library was established with a bequest from Stephen Mitchell, a wealthy tobacco manufacturer, whose company, Stephen Mitchell and Son, would become one of the constituent members of the...

21 December 2009

1884 – New Library for the Hon. Society of Gray’s Inn, London

Architect: Isaacs & Florence The Library of Gray’s Inn has existed since at least 1555, when the first mention of it was made in the will of Robert Chaloner, who left some money...

16 December 2009

1995 – Vancouver Library Square, Vancouver, British Columbia

Architect: Moshe Safdie This stunning architectural achievement by Moshe Safdie is one of Vancouver’s defining landmarks. The $100 million multi-building complex houses Provincial and Federal Government offices, the 1.2 million item library, and...

30 November 2009

1884 – Rawtenstall Public Library & Municipal Offices, Lancashire

Architect: A.T. Butler

25 November 2009

1850 – Ste-Genevieve Library, Paris

Architect: Henri Labrouste Designed in 1839, and opened in 1851, the library was intended to contain the treasures of a nearby cloister. Like the Old Library in Trinity College Dublin, the library has...