Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

lighthouses

05 December 2014

1893 – St. John’s Point Lighthouse, Killough, Co. Down

Architect: William Douglass Constructed during the period 1892-93, replacing an older and lower lighthouse. The complex comprised of a lighthouse, 2 new dwellings, new fog-signal house, enlargement of gas plant.

03 December 2014

1768 – Poolbeg Lighthouse, Dublin

Architect: John Smyth The Great South Wall on which Poolbeg Lighthouse stands, extends from Ringsend over 4km out to sea. It was the world’s longest sea-wall at the time of it’s construction and...

13 November 2013

1898 – Point Perpendicular Lighthouse, Jarvis Bay, NSW, Australia

Architect: Charles Harding Point Perpendicular was chosen in September 1883 as a site for a new lighthouse by Colonial Architect James Barnet and Captain Francis Hixson of the Marine Board. Designed by James...

13 November 2013

1880 – Clarence River Light, New South Wales, Australia

Architect: James Barnet One of a range of lighthouses built to a similar design by James Barnet. Constructed in 1880, and demolished in 1956 after a new taller light was constructed.

12 June 2012

1904 – Fastnet Lighthouse, Co. Cork

Architect: William Douglass The second lighthouse on Fastnet Rock was designed by William Douglass and built under the supervision of James Kavanagh. Construction started in 1897 with the levelling of the site, and...

06 March 2012

1817 – Fanad Lighthouse, Co. Donegal

Architect: George Halpin Construction started in 1812-13 with the tone brought pre-cut from North Wall, Dublin. Light first lit St Patrick’s Day 1817.

07 July 2010

1847 – Lighthouse East Pier, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: George Halpin, This permanent lighthouse and dwelling was designed by Chief Engineer with the Ballast Board, George Halpin, with some later alterations by Jacob Owen. The cost of the granite tower was...

28 January 2010

1814 – Bailey Lighthouse, Howth, Co. Dublin

Fine lighthouse on a rocky promontory marking the northernmost point of Dublin bay. A two-stage ashlar granite lighthouse with metal-framed glazed lantern, attached to five-bay three-storey block to north-west. Single- and two-storey coastguard...

28 January 2010

1817 – Harbour Lighthouse, Howth, Co. Dublin

Architect: George Halpin Fine lighthouse on the end of the southern arm of the harbour. The lighthouse also had a defensive purpose, a circular wall alongside defends a gun position. Two-bay two-storey ashlar...

Pages:12Next »