Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Limerick

04 May 2014

1290s – Thomondgate Bridge, Limerick, Co. Limerick

Thomondgate was part of the “Northern” Liberties granted to Limerick in 1216. This area was the border between Munster and Connacht until County Clare, which was created in 1565, was annexed by Munster...

07 March 2014

1858 – Cannock, Tait and Co. Department Store, Limerick

Architect: William Fogerty Part of the building was constructed in 1858 and described in The Irish Builder, February 1 1859: “Messrs. Cannock, Tait and Co’s premises occupy a plot of ground 210 feet...

07 March 2014

1874 – Todd’s Department Store, Limerick

Architect: William S. Cox Todd’s was a Limerick landmark with a stately interior, long and wide mahogany counters, and an all-round balcony with cast-iron ornamental railings. The store was founded by William Todd...

27 February 2014

1905 – Shannon Rowing Club, Limerick

Architect: William Clifford Smith An architectural competition held in 1902 resulted in a commission for a young English architect, William Clifford Smith to design the club. Completed in 1905 at a cost of...

27 February 2014

1789 – City Gaol and County Court House, Merchant’s Quay, Limerick

Architect: William Blackburn Demolished in 1988 to facilitate the construction of the new City Council headquarters. Blackburn was a London architect and pioneer of radial planning in prison design. According to Lewis, “The...

10 February 2014

1940 – Debenhams, O’Connell Street, Limerick,

A fine corner building, stylistically old-fashioned by the time of its construction. The corner entrance has a a double-height polished limestone surround. The facades feature stepped stylised Doric piers with fluted capitals, rising...

16 September 2013

1834 – Trinity Church, Catherine St., Limerick, Co. Limerick

Architect: Joseph Fogerty Built as a Church of Ireland chapel for a nearby Asylum for Blind Women. The money for construction was raised in Ireland and England by Rev. Edward Newenham Hoare. Now...

01 September 2013

1903 – Mary Immaculate College, Limerick

Architect: W.H. Byrne The College was established as a dedicated primary teacher training college in 1898 by Bishop Edward Thomas O’Dwyer, Roman Catholic Bishop of Limerick and the Sisters of Mercy. Its foundation...

28 May 2013

1904 – St. Joseph’s Church, O’Connell Ave., Limerick

Architect: William E. Corbett Not completed as designed due to the lack of money available, St. Joseph’s is clearly lacking a completed tower. Originally, it was intended to construct a fine hexastyle Corinthian...