Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr


09 April 2012

1837 – Mont de Piété, Limerick

Architect: William O’Hara Designed as a pawn service for the poor of Limerick by Matthew Barrington, who also founded the hospital alongside, many details of this building are uncertain. It is assumed that...

04 March 2012

1702 – The Exchange, Limerick

Architect: The Limerick City Exchange was built in 1673, close to St. Mary’s Cathedral to house the city’s covered market and council chamber. In 1702 the Exchange was demolished and replaced by a...

26 February 2012

1841 – Limerick Union Workhouse

Architect: George Wilkinson Designed to replace the city`s overcrowded poorhouase, the new workhouse of 1841 was designed by George Wilkinson on an 11-acre site to the north-west of the city. Intended to hold...

24 February 2012

1774 – Poor House, Limerick

Architect: Rev. Deane Hoare In 1773 the Limerick county and city Grand Juries came together with a budget of 500 pounds to build a poorhouse on land donated by the local Bishop. The...

13 December 2011

1856 – Protestant Orphan Society Hall, Limerick

Architect: William Fogerty Published in The Builder, January 19, 1856. Two storey collegiate gothic orphanage now converted into offices. Original windows have been replaced with ugly uPVC versions.

05 November 2011

1932 – St. Mary’s Church, Limerick, Co. Limerick

Architect: Ashlin & Coleman New church constructed on site of church of 1749. The Altar rails (1931) and Lady Altar (1931) were supplied by Giorgio Favilla.

28 May 2011

1904 – Unbuilt Design for St. Joseph’s Church, Limerick

Architect: William E. Corbett Not completed as designed due to the amount of money available, Originally, it was intended to construct a fine hexastyle Corinthian portico to the front, as well as an...

04 May 2011

1860s – McBirney & Co., Limerick

McBirney’s Drapery Emporium which was taken over by Roches Stores in the 1940’s, but was burned to the ground in a disastrous fire in 1948

02 May 2011

1836 – Thomond Bridge, Limerick

Architect: James & George Pain The current seven-arch bridge was built in 1836, replacing the earlier bridge which was also alongside King John’s Castle. The architect James Pain had surveyed the earlier medieval...