Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Liverpool

11 March 2013

1861 – Marine Residences at Waterloo, Liverpool

Architect: Henry Sumners From The Building News, May 31 1861: “These newly erected residences are situate upon the shore at the above fashionable watering place, and are in the Gothic style of architecture....

15 February 2013

1867 – Designs for proposed buildings in Sefton Park, Liverpool

Architect: André & Hornblower Sefton Park is a 235 acre, Grade II* historic park in the Sefton Park district of Liverpool. In 1867 the local council purchased the land from the Earl of...

29 October 2012

1874 – Seaman’s Orphanage, Newsham Park, Liverpool

Architect: Alfred Waterhouse The Liverpool Seamen’s Orphan Institution was established in order to provide care and education for the many Liverpool children who lost families at sea. In 1870 Liverpool City Council donated...

29 October 2012

1871 – Former Great North Western Hotel, Lime Street, Liverpool

Architect: Alfred Waterhouse The hotel was built in in 1871 as a railway hotel by the London and North Western Railway to serve Lime Street Station, and contained 330 rooms. The hotel closed...

29 October 2012

1884 – Gustaf Adolf Scandinavian Church, Liverpool

Architect: W.D. Caroe Caroe probably obtained the commission through his father, who was then the Danish Consul in Liverpool, as he was still in his early 20s. His design is a unique building,...

25 October 2012

1884 – Conservative Club, Dale St., Liverpool

Architect: F. & G. Holme Grade II listed. For some years, used as an annex to the municipal building, now empty.

26 September 2012

1886 – St James Church, Bootle, Liverpool

Architect: Hadfield & Son The foundation stone for the St. James church was laid on the 20 July 1884, twelve months after the building had commenced. It opened in early 1886. When the...

29 August 2012

1876 – Sailors Home, Liverpool

Design for a second Sailors Home in Liverpool. Possibly never constructed.

21 March 2012

1878 – The Exchange Art Galleries, Liverpool

Architects: Salomons, Wornum & Ely Commercial art galleries for Messrs. Agnew & Sons, published in The Building News, September 20th 1878. Agnew & Sons were prominent art dealers, with premises in Manchester and...