Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

London

31 March 2013

1868 – General Credit and Discount Company, 7 Lothbury, London

Architect: George Somers Clarke Still standing today, this Venetian Gothic style building was completed to a slightly different design than illustrated – an entrance was inserted onto the Lothbury Street facade. Nikolaus Pevsner...

31 March 2013

1865 – Union Bank of London, Princes St., London

Architect: Philip Charles Hardwick This joint stock bank was established at 8 Moorgate Street, City of London, in 1839 as Union Bank of London with a paid-up capital of £211,500. The head office...

31 March 2013

1869 – Finsbury District Schools, London

Architect: Fred Peck The Finsbury School District, one of several such bodies set up to provide accommodation for pauper children away from the workhouse, briefly existed in 1868-9. It never got as far...

26 March 2013

1868 – St. Pancras Station, London

Architect: William H. Barlow A Grade I listed building, itwas opened in 1868 by the Midland Railway as the southern terminus of its main line, which connected London with the East Midlands and...

26 March 2013

1871 – West London Synagogue, Upper Berkeley St., London

Architect: Davis & Emanuel The main sanctuary is built in the Byzantine architectural style. The premises also contain offices, a library and various community facilities. From The Building News, April 7, 1871: “JUST...

26 March 2013

1862 – The Grosvenor Hotel, London

Architect: James T. Knowles Built by the Victorian railway pioneers in 1862, The Grosvenor Hotel Victoria ushered in a Golden Age of travel. It has been restored to its former glory and is...

25 March 2013

1868 – Gaiety Theatre, The Strand, London

Architect: C.J. Phipps Deesigned by the theatre architect C.J. Phipps, who also designed the 1871 Gaiety Theatre in Dublin, this was a sumptuous rebuild of an existing theatre. Intended as a complete evening’s...

23 March 2013

1867 – Palmerston Buildings, Old Broad St and Bishopsgate, London

Architect: F. & H. Francis Palmerston House was named after the Third Viscount Palmerston. It stood at 51-55 Broad Street. It was occupied for some time by the Cunard Steam Shipping Company. Demolished...

22 March 2013

1865 – Church of St. Philip, Sydenham, London

Architect: Edwin Nash Demolished in the early 1980s to provide a new church and sheltered housing. From The Building News: “This church was erected in 1865 from the designs of Mr. Edwin Nash,...