Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

London

21 March 2013

1867 – St. George’s Church, Tupnell Park, Holloway, London

Architect: George Truefitt Constructed for The Free Church of England, later dissenters from Anglicanism. No longer in use as a church, but converted into a theatre. The illustrated tower and spire was never...

21 March 2013

1871 – Streatham Hill Congregational Church, London

Architect: E.C. Robins From The Buildings News, March 10 1871: “This church, a view of which is given in our illustrations this week, is in course of erection from the designs of Mr....

16 March 2013

1868 – Her Majesty’s Theatre, 57 Haymarket, London

Architect: Lee Bros & Pain Constructed in 1868 at a cost of £50,000, within the shell of the previous theatre, which had been destroyed by fire, for Lord Dudley. It was designed by...

15 March 2013

1868 – Warehouse, Southwark St., London

Architect: Ernest Bates, From The Building News: “WE this week give an illustration o£ a new warehouse, recently erected in Southwark-street, for Mr. R.J. Bates, of Little Knight Rider-street, Doctors’ Commons. It consists...

15 March 2013

1871 – Design for National Gallery, Trafalgar Sq., London

Architect: Sir Austen Henry Layard & Gilbert R. Redgrave Design for new National Gallery in conjunction with the architect Gilbert Redgrave – elevation to Trafalgar Square, published in The Building News, July 21...

11 March 2013

1856 – Carlton Club, Pall Mall, London

Architect: Sydney Smirke The Carlton Club was founded in 1832, as a party political organisation. By 1835 its wealth and standing were such that it was able to occupy new premises on Pall...

05 March 2013

1871 – Turkish Baths, No. 76 Jermyn St., London

Architect: Arthur Cates In 1862 the London and Provincial Turkish Bath Co. Ltd. built what was said by some to be the finest in Europe at number 76. Although both grand and spectacular...

01 March 2013

1860 – Drapers School, Tottenham High Cross, London

Architect: Herbert Williams A private school existed on this site from around 1833, in 1858, this school was taken over by the Worshipful Company of Drapers. Substantially altered and enlarged, it functioned as...

01 March 2013

1860 – Westbourne Hall, Bayswater, London

Architect: Newman & Billing Originally built as an extension of the Bayswater Athenaeum, the facade is decorated with theatrical busts. From The Building News: “In our journal for May 2lst, 1861, we gave...