Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

London

01 March 2013

1860 – Westbourne Hall, Bayswater, London

Architect: Newman & Billing Originally built as an extension of the Bayswater Athenaeum, the facade is decorated with theatrical busts. From The Building News: “In our journal for May 2lst, 1861, we gave...

01 March 2013

1861 – St. Stephen’s Church, Albert Square, Clapham Rd, London

Architect: John Barnett Albert Square is an outstanding example of one of London’s famous ‘garden squares’. Built on what was originally market garden land in the mid-19th century, it was completed between 1848...

25 February 2013

1868 – St. Luke`s Church, Millwall, London

Architect: E.L. Blackburne St Luke’s Church, Miilwall (in the Isle of Dogs) was bombed out during the Second World War. Since then the community has carried on with a make-shift chapel, tacked on...

25 February 2013

1868 – Model Housing, Fulham, London

Architect: John D. Sedding Design for a block of model dwellings at Fulham. Published in The Building News, August 14 1868.

25 February 2013

1870 – Sacred Heart Church & School, Holloway, London

Architect: F.H. Pownall The foundation stone of the church was laid on 5 August 1869, with the finished building costing £7,000, it was opened on 18 August 1870. The church from the outside,...

13 February 2013

1881 – Shops, Norwood, London

Architect: Arthur Cawston “These shops, now building in High-street, Norwood, are from the designs of Mr. Arthur Caw- ston, architect, of Clement’s-lane, E.G. The buildlogs are in red brick, and are covered with...

01 February 2013

1861 – Shop, The Strand, London

Architect: John Barnett From The Building News: “THE building, 31, Strand, of which we give an illustration on another page, is Elizabethan, of red brick, with Portland cement dressings, with a frontage to...

31 January 2013

1919 – Proposed Theatre, Charing Cross Rd., London

Architect: Frank T. Verity Published in The Building News, December 12 1919: “The drawing reproduced on our doublepage plate to-day was exhibited at the Royal Academy this year. Mr. Frank Verity, F.R.I.B.A., of...

31 January 2013

1868 – Congregational Chapel and Schools, Twickenham, London

Architect: M.P. Manning From The Building News: “Facing the green in the pleasant hamlet of Twickenham stands the Congregational chapel and schools which have lately being remodelled and extended. One of our engravings...