Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

London

31 May 2013

1922 – Dickins & Jones, 224-244 Regent St., London

Architect: Henry Tanner In 1790, Dickins and Smith opened a shop at 54, Oxford Street, at the sign of the Golden Lion. In 1830 the shop was renamed “Dickins, Sons and Stevens”, and...

31 May 2013

1873 – Grand Cafe Royal, Regent Street, London

Architect: Archer & Green From The Building News, October 30 1873: “This building, the elevation of which we this week illustrate, is situate on tho east side of Air-street, Rogent-street, and has been...

31 May 2013

1920 – Magnet House, Kingsway, London

Architect: R. Frank Atkinson Constructed for the General Electric Co., and extended over the years. Sold in later 1950s and demolished shortly after. Replaced by a building, also called Magnet House, by Richard...

31 May 2013

1919 – Coliseum Cinema, High St., Clapham, London

Architect: North & Robin In 1910 the Electric Picture Palace had opened in Venn St. Clapham on the site of a former stables. In 1919 a new magnificent cinema with 3,000 seats was...

21 May 2013

1919 – Corner Oxford St & Stratford Place, London

Architect: Arthur Sykes Still extant today, the ground floor being used for a single large store, but otherwise largely unchanged. From The Building News, September 12 1919: “This work ‘is now about to...

21 May 2013

1920 – Avon India Rubber Co., Euston Rd., London

Architect: Robert Angell From The Building News, September 3 1920: “The building is a new London depot for the Avon India Rubber Company. Ltd. The premises have frontages in the Euston Road, Fitzroy...

13 May 2013

1872 – No. 36 Piccadilly, London

Architect: George & Vaughan Published in The Building News, July 19 1872: “IN our review of the International Exhibition we noticed as follows the high character of design and draughtsmanship reached by Messrs....

30 April 2013

1920 – London County Westminster & Parr’s Bank, Brondesbury, London

Architect: E. Guy Dawber From The Building News, August 6 1920: “The drawing reproduced to-day is at the Royal Academy Exhibition, The building is being erected, The facades are in brick with Portland...

25 April 2013

1920 – Tobacco Warehouse, Victoria Docks, London

Architect: Sir Thomas Edwin Cooper Published in The Building News, July 30 1920: “At present it is proposed to erect only parts of this building, but Mr. Cooper has contrived that the first...