Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

London

16 July 2009

1875 – Offices for The London School Board, Victoria Embankment, London

Architect: Bodley & Garner Selected Design published in The Architect May 10th 1873. This building was ultimately to become much larger than illustrated with the same design mirrored around a central tower and...

16 July 2009

1875 – Schools of St. Michael & Convent with Hospital of St. Mary, Shoreditch, London

Architect: James Brooks

16 July 2009

1875 – The Horseshoe Hotel, Tottenham Court Road, London

Architect: Edward L. Paraire The former Horseshoe Hotel at 264-7 Tottenham Court Road is a substantial building, constructed in three phases, of yellow London stock bricks with terra cotta and Portland stone dressings...

16 July 2009

1875 – New House, Queen’s Gate, South Kensington, London

Architect: Richard Norman Shaw “We have satisfaction this week in publishing a reproduction of Mr. Norman Shaw’s Academy drawing of the new house now being erected under his architectural superintendence at Queen’s-gate, South...

16 July 2009

1875 – Church of The English Martyrs, Tower Hill, London

Architect: Edward Welby Pugin Original design by Edward Welby Pugin who died in 1875, the remainder of the design work including the interior being completed by Pugin & Pugin. As published in The...

16 July 2009

1875 – General Baptist Chapel, Westbourne Park, London

Architect: J. Wallis Chapman Now demolished – replaced by a modern circa 1950s church.

16 July 2009

1875 – Boyd Workman’s Institute, Victoria Docks, London

Architect: Giles & Gane Founded by Henry Boyd, local vicar who was instrumental in trying to improve the lifes of the dockers and their families through education. In the 189s a centre for...

16 July 2009

1875 – No.1 Poultry, London

Architect: J. & J. Belcher Early design proposal for No.1 Poultry, which was ultimately to become the Mappin & Webb building, also designed by John Belcher. It was demolished eventually in 1194 when...

16 July 2009

1875 – Church of the Ascension, Lavender Hill, London

Architect: James Brooks Pictured is the original design for Church of the Ascension published in 1875, but not completed until 1883. The architect James Brooks discovered during construction that he had to pour...