Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

London

16 July 2009

1860 – St. Giles National Schools, Bloomsbury, London

Architect: Edward Middleton Barry Sited at the corner of Endell Street and Shaftesbury Avenue, the National Schools were built to cater for 1,500 children. The facilities included a soup kitchen, and an industrial...

16 July 2009

1860 – Warehouses in Aldermanbury, London

Architect: Edmund Woodthorpe “A noble example of warehouse architecture has been erected in Aldermanbury with a considerable degree of ornate splendour externally. It is Italian in style and its constructive arrangements are rxcellent....

16 July 2009

1861 – St. Stephens Church, South Lambeth, London

Architect: John Bennett Consecrated in 1861, the church could seat 1,200 people. By the 1960s the congregation numbers had collapsed and the decision was taken to demolish the church. It was totally removed...

16 July 2009

1860 – Central Hall, Clerkenwell Sessions House, London

Architect: F.H. Pownell The existing building originally erected between 1779 and 1782, as the new Courthouse for the Middlesex Quarter Sessions, at a cost of £13,000. For the next 120 years it was...

16 July 2009

1860 – St Pauls Church, Haggerston, Hackney, London

Architect: Arthur W. Blomfield Saint Paul’s was consecrated in 1860. In 1971 the benefice and parish were united with St. Michael and All Angels, London Fields, Hackney which became the parish church of...

16 July 2009

1860 – Holy Trinity Chapel, Knightsbridge, London

Architect: Raphael Brandon & Henry M. Eyton The new church, a building in the Early Decorated style with seating for 600, was designed in competition by Raphael Brandon and Henry M. Eyton. S.S....

16 July 2009

1860 – Floral Hall, Covent Garden, London

Architect: Edward Middleton Barry The glass and iron-framed Floral Hall stands just to the south of the Royal Opera House at Covent Garden, and was completed soon after it. During the reconstruction or...

16 July 2009

1860 – The Cancer Hospital, Brompton, London

Architect: John Young & Son Founded as the Free Cancer Hospital in 1851 by Dr William Marsden at 1, Cannon Row, Westminster. Marsden, deeply affected by the death of his wife Elizabeth Ann...

16 July 2009

1860 – Proposal for the National Gallery, London

Architect: Sir Charles Barry Over the years, general unhappiness with the existing National Gallery resulted in several attempts either to completely remodel the National Gallery (as suggested by Sir Charles Barry in 1853...