Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Belfast

12 June 2014

1870 – Working Men’s Institute, Queen Street, Belfast

Architect: Anthony Thomas Jackson Constructed at the junction of Queen and Mill Streets, demolished in 1915. The arcaded shops were the home of Lennon’s Catholic Repository. The building contained a library and a...

21 March 2014

1874 – Warehouses, Nos.1-3 Donegall Square South, Belfast

Architect: John Lanyon Large warehouse of red sandstone on the corner of Adelaide Street and Donegall Square for Preston Smyth & Co., and John Preston & Co. Demolished to make way for a...

04 March 2014

1868 – Imperial Hotel, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles A. Sherry Constructed for William Jury, proprietor of Jury’s and Shelbourne hotels, Dublin, and Imperial Hotel, Cork. “Just completed by Mr W.B. McMaster, from plans by, and under the direction of,...

04 March 2014

1877 – Irish Temperance League, Nos.16-20 Lombard Street, Belfast

Architect: Joseph C. Marsh 4-storey, 3-bay, stucco building constructed to house a temperance café which operated until 1966. The architect Joseph C. Marsh was a Quaker working in Belfast who was hired by...

27 February 2014

1969 – Divis Flats, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Frank Patterson This complex of 850 flats, housing 2,400 residents was designed by architect Frank Robertson for the Northern Ireland Housing Trust. Construction started in 1966 with the first three blocks completed...

24 February 2014

1879 – Gate Lodge, Botanic Gardens, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: William Batt Former gatelodge constructed in Venetian Gothic, a single-storey building in red brick with Staffordshire blue bands and pointed stone arches at the openings. Carving by Alexander Steven. The original design...

20 February 2014

1882 – Garfield Chambers & Regent Cinema, Royal Avenue, Belfast

The building, Garfield Chambers was built in 1882 and like many buildings on Royal Avenue, was finished in stucco. Opened in 1911, the Regent was the first Belfast cinema not to have its...

14 February 2014

1886 – Former Post Office, Royal Avenue, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: James H. Owen Belfast’s General Post Office that stood on Royal Avenue, by James Owen of the Board of Works. It was built from Dungannon stone with a machicolated cornice and Romanesque...

03 February 2014

1873 – Belgravia Hotel, Nos 2-12 Ulsterville Ave., Belfast

Architect: John Boyd The Belgravia Hotel was a collection of Victorian Villas on Ulsterville Ave, with fine polychromic brickwork, decorative ironwork and dormers. The terrace was designed by John Boyd in 1873. In...

Pages:1234Next »