Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Belfast

04 March 2014

1877 – Irish Temperance League, Nos.16-20 Lombard Street, Belfast

Architect: Joseph C. Marsh 4-storey, 3-bay, stucco building constructed to house a temperance café which operated until 1966. The architect Joseph C. Marsh was a Quaker working in Belfast who was hired by...

27 February 2014

1969 – Divis Flats, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Frank Patterson This complex of 850 flats, housing 2,400 residents was designed by architect Frank Robertson for the Northern Ireland Housing Trust. Construction started in 1966 with the first three blocks completed...

24 February 2014

1879 – Gate Lodge, Botanic Gardens, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: William Batt Former gatelodge constructed in Venetian Gothic, a single-storey building in red brick with Staffordshire blue bands and pointed stone arches at the openings. Carving by Alexander Steven. The original design...

20 February 2014

1882 – Garfield Chambers & Regent Cinema, Royal Avenue, Belfast

The building, Garfield Chambers was built in 1882 and like many buildings on Royal Avenue, was finished in stucco. Opened in 1911, the Regent was the first Belfast cinema not to have its...

14 February 2014

1886 – Former Post Office, Royal Avenue, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: James H. Owen Belfast’s General Post Office that stood on Royal Avenue, by James Owen of the Board of Works. It was built from Dungannon stone with a machicolated cornice and Romanesque...

03 February 2014

1873 – Belgravia Hotel, Nos 2-12 Ulsterville Ave., Belfast

Architect: John Boyd The Belgravia Hotel was a collection of Victorian Villas on Ulsterville Ave, with fine polychromic brickwork, decorative ironwork and dormers. The terrace was designed by John Boyd in 1873. In...

31 January 2014

1846 – Castle Buildings, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Corner of Castle Place and Donegall Place – a three storey stucco building with round headed windows. Also known as Gibsons Corner, it was the first commercial development on Donegall Place which had...

30 January 2014

1892 – Queen’s Quay Railway Station, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Originally opened by the Belfast & County Down Railway in 1848, the station at Queen’s Quay was rebuilt in 1910-14, extending the original building on both sides. The Belfast Holywood & Bangor Railway...

29 January 2014

1884 – Royal Avenue Hotel, Belfast

Architect: Thomas Jackson Constructed between 1882 and 1884, designed by architect Thomas Jackson in the Italianate style – a four-storey building with round headed dormers and a rounded corner to Rosemary Street. It...


Skip to toolbar