Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Belfast

09 July 2013

1881 – Theatre Royal, Arthur St., Belfast

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn & Lanyon / C.J. Phipps Originally constructed by Lanyon, Lynn & Lanyon in 1871 with carving by the Fitzpatrick Brothers. It was badly damaged by fire in June 1881, reopening...

09 July 2013

1907 – Royal Hippodrome Theatre, Belfast

Architect: Bertie Crewe The Royal Hippodrome Theatre was constructed beside the Grand Opera House in 1908-07. Later renovated in the 1960s as a Odeon cinema, it lost much of its original architectural detail....

06 December 2012

1886 – Ceremonial Royal Archways, Belfast, Co. Antrim

A selection of archways erected in Belfast for the 1886 visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales.

03 November 2012

1848 – Great Victoria Street Railway Station, Belfast

Architect: John Godwin The Ulster Railway opened Belfast’s first railway terminus in 1839, and as such was called just “Belfast” until 1852. By 1852 the Dublin and Belfast Junction Railway was completed, making...

29 October 2012

1896 – Gallaher Tobacco Factory, York Street, Belfast

Architect: Samuel Stevenson Architects Gallaher Tobacco Company, now part of Japan Tobacco, was originally founded in Derry in 1857 by Tom Gallaher. By 1896, he had opened the largest tobacco factory in the...

29 March 2012

1849 – Royal Triumphal Archway, High St., Belfast

Architect: Thirty-two foot tall triumphal archway constructed for the visit of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert to Belfast in 1849. Supposedly the words Cead Mile Failte were inscribed on the reverse side to...

23 March 2012

1823 – Ormeau House, Co. Down

Architect: William Vitruvius Morrison A long rambling Tudor mansion designed for the 2nd Marquess of Donegall on the then outskirts of Belfast, who was in exile from his creditors in England. Originally a...

15 March 2012

1901 – St. Silas Church, Cliftonville Road, Belfast

Architect: Thomas Roe Opened in 1901, and completing destroyed during the air raids on Belfast in 1941. According to the Irish Builder of December 1 1900, only the nave and chancel were to...

07 January 2012

1790 – Meeting-House, Rosemary Street, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Dr. Drummond’s Meeting-House, Second Congregation, Rosemary Street, was built 1790, nad demolished 1964. It is believed that architect Francis Hiorne who designed St. Anne’s Church was consulted on the design. It is unclear...