Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Dublin

21 July 2015

1894 – Design for entrance and railings, Nelson’s Pillar, Dublin

Architect: G.P. Beater “The new entrance porch and enclosing railing (of which we give an illustration), have just been carried out for the trustees from designs by and under the superintendence of Mr...

07 April 2015

1690s – Barrack Bridge, Dublin

Barrack Bridge was originally a wooden structure built in 1670, and was the second bridge across the river Liffey. During its construction, a number of men attempted to destroy it on several occasions...

29 March 2015

1673 – Blue Coat School, Dublin

In Oxmantown Green, the King’s Hospital or Bluecoat School, was erected between 1669 and 1673 as a free school for boys and an alms house for unprivileged. Officially the building was known as...

23 February 2015

16th C. – Finglaswood House, Finglas, Co. Dublin

Elizabethan house, also known as King James’ Castle. Described in The Neighbourhood of Dublin, in 1912 as: “Due south of Finglas, and situated on the green banks of the Tolka, is the conspicuous...

20 January 2015

1860s – No.39 Grafton Street, Dublin

Fine shopfront, now demolished. Possibly designed by William G. Murray who designed the building or a later replacement shop front.

08 January 2015

1878 – St. Vincent de Paul Orphanage, Glasnevin, Dublin

Architect: John Sterling Butler / John L. Robinson Opened in 1857, where the apartments in Dalcassian Downs now stand. This had accommodation for 150 boys and also provided school facilities. Known as St...

06 January 2015

1760s – Royal Irish Academy, No.107 Grafton Street, Dublin

Early home of the Royal Irish Academy, which had some minor work by Richard Johnstom, and internal stuccowork by Charles Thorp. The Royal Irish Academy instituted for the advancement of science, polite literature,...

21 November 2014

1756 – Nos 1-4 Kildare Place, Dublin

Architect: Richard Cassels / John Ensor Originally Kildare Place consisted of four houses onto a small square bordered by Kildare Street. Nos 2 & 3 were designed by Richard Cassels, and probably executed...

21 November 2014

1725 – Riversdale House, Kilmainham, Dublin

Riversdale House, probably originally had Dutch Billy gables, and was constructed entirely in stone rather than brick. Constructed about 1725 by a Dublin lawyer called John Fitzpatrick who sold it shortly afterwards to...

Pages:1234Next »

Skip to toolbar