Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost New York

27 June 2012

1964 – Irish Pavilion, 1964-65 New York World’s Fair

Architect: Andrew Devane / Robinson, Keefe & Devane From the official guide; “Some contributions made by the Irish to the happiness of other parts of the world are beguilingly displayed in a series...

20 April 2012

1897 – Gillender Building, New York

Architect: Berg & Clark The Gillender Building was completed in the Financial District in 1897, but was demolished in 1910 and replaced by a bigger building that combined its neighboring lot. The building...

11 March 2012

1879 – St. Vincent Ferrer Church, New York

Architect: Demolished in 1914 so as to begin construction of a new one designed by Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue, who had recently struck out on his own from Cram, Goodhue & Ferguson.

05 January 2012

1824 – Bank of the United States, 15 Wall Street, New York

Architect: M.E. Thompson Constructed as the New York branch for the former Bank of the United States, and was designed by Martin Euclid Thompson, a noted artist and architect of the period. The...

22 November 2011

1939 – Irish Pavilion, New York World’s Fair

Architect: Michael Scott Image above courtesy Irish Architectural Archive Michael Scott’s most important pre-war commission – the Irish Pavilion for the New York World Fair. This was completed before his final examinations. Scott...

05 July 2011

1889 – Alterations to New York Club, New York

Architect: Robertson & Manning Published in the American Architect and Building News, June 1 1889. Now demolished.

30 April 2011

1903 – Knickerbocker Trust Co. Building, New York

Architect: McKim, Mead, and White he Knickerbocker Trust Co. building was completed in 1903 at the corner of 34th Street and 5th Avenue. The building was enlarged by ten stories in 1921, and...

30 April 2011

1908 – Singer Building, 149 Broadway, New York

Architect: Ernest Flagg The Singer Building in lower Manhattan was completed in 1908 and served as the headquarters of the Singer Manufacturing Company. The architect Ernest Flagg believed that buildings more than 10...

05 January 2011

1883 – Produce Exchange, New York

Architect: George B. Post Designed in a modified neo-Renaissance mode that clad an interior iron skeletal framing with terracotta panels, reminiscent of some monstrous Italian palazzo. Demolished in 1957.