Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Manchester

16 May 2013

1876 – St John Chrysostom’s Church, Victoria Park, Manchester

Architect: George T. Redmayne The building is in the early English style, and was built to the design of George T. Redmayne, who also designed the College of Art in Cavendish Street, Manchester,...

12 February 2013

1868 – Warehousemen and Clerks’ Orphan Schools, Manchester

Architect: Ernest Bates Formed as The Manchester Warehousemen and Clerks’ Orphan Schools in 1855, moved to this site in 1869, and now known as Cheadle Hulme School. From The Building News: “ONE of...

08 November 2012

1857 – Art Treasures Exhibition Building, Manchester, Lancashire

Architect: Francis Fowke & Edward Salomons A temporary exhibition structure built to hold the ‘Art Treasures of Great Britain” from 5 May to 17 October 1857. The idea for an exhibition in Manchester...

08 November 2012

1864 – Assize Courts, Manchester, Lancashire

Architect: Alfred Waterhouse Designed by Alfred Waterhouse in the neo-Gothic style, construction began in 1859 and was completed in 1864. This was Waterhouse’s first major commission, won by open competition, and the nearby...

08 November 2012

1874 – Royal Exchange, Manchester, Lancashire

Architect: Mills & Murgatroyd The first Manchester cotton exchange opened in 1729 but closed by the end of the century. A second exhcnage by Thomas Harrison opened in 1809 and this was further...

11 June 2012

1908 – Wesleyan Sunday School, Newton Heath, Manchester

Architect: Smith & Matley Published in The Building News, November 20th 1908. For a time, used for services after the main church across the street was demolished due to dry rot. Later demolished.

09 April 2012

1877 – House, Northenden, Manchester

Architect: Bell & Roper The Residence of H. Schill esq., perspective view & ground plan published in The Building News, January 5th 1877.

29 March 2012

1846 – Platt Church, Manchester, Lancashire

Architect: Edmund Sharpe The architect’s second “pot church”, so-called because the main building material used in the construction of the church is terracotta. Terracotta is used as the facing material for both the...

26 January 2012

1885 – Presbyterian Chapel, Whalley Range, Manchester

Architect: Magnall & Littlewoods Proposed Presbyterian Chapel – perspective view, ground plan & interior – published in The Building News, December 25th 1885. Description from The Builder, October 24th 1885: On the 10th...