Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Manitoba

13 June 2013

1913 – Snippets from the construction of Manitoba Parliament, Winnipeg

Architects: Francis Worthington Simon From The Building News, February 16 1912: “Mr. Leonard Stokes, P.R.I.B.A., has been appointed by the Government of Manitoba to act as assessor in the competition for the new...

01 October 2012

1904 – Courthouse, Morden, Manitoba

Architect: Samuel Hooper Designed by the Provincial Architect Samuel Hooper as a courthouse and small holding jail for the surrounding area. A simple building, with an unsual pediment, it now has rather unfortunately...

30 July 2012

1929 – Blessed Margaret Church, St. Malo, Manitoba

Simple gothic barn church whose main architectural feature is the twin spires. Painted silver in the French-Canadian fashion, they’re a local landmark.

22 July 2012

1881 – Université de Saint-Boniface, Winnipeg

Architect: Balston C. Kenway Located on the site of what is now Provencher Park in St. Boniface. In 1922, a major fire completely destroyed the building claiming ten victims and destroying all of...

04 July 2012

1905 – Empire Hotel, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Alexander & William Melville Originally conceived as the Cauchon Block, and then converted into an upmarket hotel in 1905 by architects Alexander & William Melville for the railway traveller. Ultimately the Empire...

04 July 2012

1906 – Royal Alexandra Hotel, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: E. & W.S. Maxwell The 18th and most luxurious of the Canadian Pacific Railway’s hotels, the Royal Alex closed in 1967 and was demolished in 1971. For many years, its ornate interior...

04 July 2012

1913 – Unbuilt Design for City Hall, Winnipeg

Architect: Clemesha & Portnall In early 1913, a committee of Winnipeg’s City Planning Commission recommended that a new civic centre be built, and a contest for a design for a new city hall...

04 July 2012

1899 – Canadian Bank of Commerce, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Darling & Pearson Dismantled stone by stone in 1910 and re-erected in Regina, Saskatchewan. A replacement bank building, even more grandiose was designed and built by Darling & Pearson.

04 July 2012

1922 – Medical College, 770 Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: The second medical college to be constructed in Winnipeg. The Manitoba Medical College, incorporated in April 1884 as the first such school west of the Great Lakes, was reorganized in 1919 as...

Pages:1234567...29Next »