Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Manitoba

29 June 2010

1906 – No. 662 Main Street, Bell Hotel, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Joseph Bernhart Seedy, down-at-hell rooming hotel, now closed. Being converted into a hostel for homeless.

29 June 2010

1910 – McLaren Hotel, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: J.C. Caldwell The McLaren family were a prominent Winnipeg hotelling family owning a number of establishments including the Brunswick (Main and Rupert), The Empire (Main and York), and the Strathcona (Main and...

29 June 2010

1989 – 201 Portage, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Charles Bentall Architects Large development on the corner of Portage and Main which attempts to address the city plan by facing down Main Street. At 32 stories, it is the largest in...

29 June 2010

1919 – Former Bank of Commerce, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Victor Daniel Horsburgh In Winnipeg the main banks had been clustered on Main Street. As Portage Avenue developed into a shopping area, the banks started to open up branches to cater for...

28 June 2010

1964 – Safeway, Main Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba

One of quite a few stores to a similar design still in use in Winnipeg, this Safeway store also has fine roadside signage from the same period. At many other locations in the...

10 May 2010

1912 – Carlton Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John D. Atchison The three-storey Carlton Building is a low-profile version of the Chicago Style of architecture, with detailing that reflects an Italianate influence. The block was built by the Sutherland Construction...

10 May 2010

1915 – Curry Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John D. Atchison Developed by City Comptroller Duncan Steele Curry (1852-1925) on the site of a previous property owned by himself. Recession and world war forced some developers to cancel projects. Curry,...

07 May 2010

1972 – Canadian Grain Commission, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Smith Carter Parkin Large office block built to house the local offices of the Canadian Grain Commission, the building creates a bold statement in downtown Winnipeg, but does nothing to address the...

07 May 2010

1989 – 400 St Mary, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Number Ten Architectural Group Modern large office block clad in a blue tinted glass and solid panel. In some light, the blue can be over-powering and at other times, the building can...