Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Manitoba

04 July 2012

1883 – St. John’s College, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Barber & Barber Anglican college founded in 1850, and re-established in 1866. Later affiliated with the University of Manitoba. In 1877 St John’s College, St Boniface College (Roman Catholic) and the Manitoba...

04 July 2012

1909 – Pavilion, Assiniboine Park, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John D. Atchison The tower housed a 16,000 gallon water tank that was visible throughout the park. Built at a cost of $19,000, the pavilion housed dining and dance halls featured loggias...

04 July 2012

1882 – Manitoba College, Winnipeg

Architect: Barber & Barber Originally built as a Methodist College, until the the buildings were purchased by the Jesuits in 1930 for St. Paul’s College. It remained in use until 1964. Demolished. Quite...

04 July 2012

1901 – Former YMCA, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Creeford Browne Former YMCA building that was later heavily remodeled to become the Birks Building. Used as a branch of the YMCA from 1901 until 1913 when their new downtown building...

04 July 2012

1881 – Hudson’s Bay Company, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Balston C. Kenway Built at Main & York, to replace an earlier store of 1874 further south on Main Street, which was constructed of stone from Upper Fort Garry. This building was...

03 July 2012

1891 – Deaf & Dumb Institute, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Charles H. Wheeler Constructed on Portage Avenue in two stages. Demolished in 1959.

03 July 2012

1924 – Dance Palace, Winnipeg Beach, Manitoba

A large two-story dance pavilion, rectangular with a dome pitch to the roof which rose to the height of a third story at the peak. Four corner turrets with an additional six smaller...

03 July 2012

1902 – Strathcona Block, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Creeford Browne The Strathcona block was built for Lord Strathcona as an elite residential building on the corner of Main Street and Broadway in 1902. It later became Fort Garry Court,...

02 July 2012

1919 – Rollercoaster, Winnipeg Beach, Manitoba

The property that would become Winnipeg Beach Park was owned by The Canadian Pacific Railway. It leased land to private developers. They in turn developed beach and picnic facilities. The railway then made...