Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Manitoba

14 April 2010

1934 – Former Bank of Toronto, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Northwood & Chivers Former branch office of the Bank of Toronto, this small building is now in use as offices. Its main architectural feature is the incised lettering above the main entrance.

14 April 2010

1931 – Uptown Bowling Lanes, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Max Blankstein Opened on 24 Dec 1931, the interior of the theatre was gutted in 1960 and was turned into a bowling alley which it still functions as today. The Uptown was...

14 April 2010

1911 – St Ignatius Roman Catholic Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: H.J. Rill / Northwood & Chivers Completed in 1911 by H.J. Rill, with further work by Northwood & Chivers in 1928. St. Ignatius has a fine interior with small aisles but no...

13 April 2010

1909 – Trinity Baptist Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Teeter Interesting little church with a very unusual corner tower. The stonework has a vaguely Scottish Baronial feel but the red tiled cupola instead of a spire is unusual and endearing.

13 April 2010

1910 – Fort Rouge United Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: John H. G. Russell Originally built as a Presbyterian Church, this large brick building is quite clumsy in design. With the exception of the two towers, the detailing is quite large in...

13 April 2010

1912 – Firehall No.15, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Alexander Melville Alexander Melville was born in Fraserburgh, Scotland in 1873 and received his architectural and civil engineering degrees in Aberdeen. In 1903 he settled in Winnipeg and immediately set up a...

13 April 2010

1914 – St Luke’s Parish Hall, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Woodman & Carey The parish hall to St Luke’s was designed by Winnipeg architects Woodman & Carey and constructed in 1913-14. Although by a different architect than the church, the English variant...

13 April 2010

1905 – St Luke’s Anglican Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: C.F. Bridgeman St. Luke’s Anglican is probably one of the best pieces of church architecture in Winnipeg. The main building was designed by Winnipeg architect C.F. Bridgeman while the attached parish hall...

18 December 2009

1901 – Brandon College, Brandon, Manitoba

Architect: Hugh McCowan The original Brandon College building was completed in 1901. It was designed by Winnipeg architect Hugh McCowan (1841-1908). Although resembling other educational structures being constructed in Winnipeg during this period,...