Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Manitoba

02 July 2012

1910 – Lord Roberts School, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: J.B. Mitchell Designed by Winnipeg school architect J. B. Mitchell, and named after highly decorated British Field Marshall, Lord Frederick Sleigh Roberts (1832-1914), the fireproof, solid grey brick, three-storey building contained 16...

19 June 2012

1908 – St. Boniface Cathedral, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Marchand & Haskell The fourth church or cathedral on this site was built in 1908 and destroyed by fire in 1968. The interior was lost and the two towers which flanked the...

29 November 2011

1895 – Mulvey School, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Creeford Browne Mulvey School No. 3, completed in late 1895 and largely resembling its predecessor which was destroyed in a fire, had 12 classrooms and an assembly hall. By 1908, overcrowding...

29 November 2011

1883 – Central School No. 1, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Charles A. Barber When built, this school was described as “away out on the prairie” because it was thought to be so far from the centre of Winnipeg. Yet, it became known...

29 November 2011

1896 – Dufferin School, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Charles H. Wheeler Constructed in 1896, and designed by local architect Charles H. Wheeler, this three-storey brick structure was erected by the firm of Kelly Bros. & Co. at a cost of...

29 November 2011

1894 – Norquay School, Lusted Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Creeford Browne Designed by local architect George Creeford Browne, the three-storey building was expanded in 1902, and further renovations were made in 1911 and 1920. It was demolished around 1956 and...

04 July 2011

1912 – Kelvin Technical & High School, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: J.B. Mitchell Founded in 1912 as Kelvin Technical High School, the name was later changed to Kelvin High School. Built of Tyndall stone and Estevan red brick between 1910 and 1912. The...

29 June 2011

1890 – Johnston Terminal, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: The Johnston Terminal is the largest of the buildings in the Forks and contains some commercial space as well as retail. It was formerly the National Cartage Building, in use as a...

06 May 2011

1920 – Manitoba Legislature, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Francis Worthington Simon This was the last of the major provincial legislatures to be constructed and reminiscent of the large 19th century City Halls of the UK. Built between 1913-20, the building...