Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Manitoba

08 July 2010

1913 – Electric Railway Chambers Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Pratt & Ross / Charles S. Frost The Winnipeg Electric Railway Co., a firm which operated the city’s electric streetcar system and its first hydro-electric utility, constructed this steel-frame and concrete building....

08 July 2010

1912 – Lindsay Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Woodman & Carey Located at the intersection of three major thoroughfares in downtown Winnipeg, the Lindsay Building is one of a handful of terracotta office towers erected during the city’s pre-World War...

08 July 2010

1975 – Kensington Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: J. Ross A building with one facade and designed only to be seen from one direction, the Kensington Building has little or no architectural merit. Seen from closer to Main Street, the...

08 July 2010

1972 – Medical Arts Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Moody & Moore Sixteen floors and built to accommodate office suites for medical practitioners, the Medical Arts Building is certainly successful as regards its occupancy rate. Shame about the architecture, which is...

08 July 2010

1913 – Former Rex Theatre / Epic Theatre, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Alexander Melville Demolished in 2008, the rendered facade concealed the remains of the original ornate classical design. The interior was largely intact prior to demolition despite a report by a downtown development...

08 July 2010

1896 – St Mary’s Cathedral, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Balston C. Kenway / Samuel Hooper Winnipeg is the only city in North America with two Roman Catholic Cathedrals due to the amalgamation of the city with St Boniface in 1972. This...

04 July 2010

1886 – City Hall, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Barber & Barber A complete Victorian fantasy of a city hall, this the second City Hall for Winnipeg was mired in controversy for its entire lifetime. Disputes over the location, materials used...

04 July 2010

1907 – Former Bank of Toronto, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Howard C. Stone Montreal architect H.C. Stone was hired to plan the structure in collaboration with his Winnipeg associate L. Bristow. Built at a cost of over $200,000, local contractors Kelly Brothers...

04 July 2010

1882 – Courthouse, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Charles H. Wheeler Built in two stages, the original and larger part was constructed in 1882-83 and housed the Courts, the Law Society and library. It became over-crowded rapidly and a further...