Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Manitoba

29 June 2010

1964 – Former Safeway, Ellice Avenue, Winnipeg

One of quite a few stores to a similar design in Winnipeg, this Safeway store finally closed in December 2008. This standard design had some variations, usually in materials on the flanking walls...

29 June 2010

1904 – Firehall No.5, Sherbrook St., Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Alexander & William Melville In 1903 the firm of A. and W. Melville, architects and civil engineers, began operation. This company was responsible for numerous buildings in and around the city. An...

29 June 2010

1915 – Earl Grey School, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: J.B. Mitchell Three-storey Earl Grey is truly one of Winnipeg’s grand old schools with an impressive fa├žade and a pair of asymmetrical entrance towers. Costing nearly $160,000 to build, construction began in...

29 June 2010

1963 – St. Joseph Ukrainian Catholic Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Number Ten Architectural Group / Radoslav Zuk St. Joseph’s Ukrainian Catholic Church served by Redemptorists of the eastern rite, is located on 250 Jefferson Avenue in Winnipeg, and is one of fifteen...

29 June 2010

1963 – Perths, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Waisman Ross Like the nearby Safeway, this outlet for Perths is modernist in design with its curving roof. Unfortunately it has suffered to a degree with much of its original glazing closed...

29 June 2010

1958 – Former B’nay Abraham Synagogue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Kanarski Bnay Abraham Synagogue started in 1916 as a free loan and sick benefit society with a medical plan and death benefits for its members. In 1958, the present building at 235...

29 June 2010

1949 – Inkster School, Inkster Boulevard, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Built to a fairly standard design used throughout the 1940s and early 1950s in Winnipeg, Inkster School is a single story building with a taller entrance bay.

29 June 2010

1925 – St. Mary The Protectress Sobor, Winnipeg, Manitoba

This was built between 1925 and 1951 by mostly volunteer labour. The two towers at the front of the church are something of a western influence; however, the treatment of the domes is...

29 June 2010

1925 – Former St John Cantius Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

The former St John Cantius Church was started in 1918 and not completed until 1925. After a new church opened alongside in 1972, it was used as a school for some years, but...