Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

market buildings

08 May 2012

1727 – Corn Market House, Thomas St., Dublin

The Corn Market building was a long arcaded structure, the ground floor of which was completely open to the street. With thirteen arches on each side, and a central cupola, it was a...

20 April 2012

1869 – Columbia Market & Dwellings, London

Architect: Henry Darbishire Columbia Market was established in 1869 as a covered food market, by the philanthropist Angela Burdett-Coutts for 400 stalls. However it was never a success as the traders preferred selling...

27 February 2012

1848 – Market House, Ballybay, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Walker The development of Ballybay town during the 18th century coincided with the purchase of the Ballybay Estate by Henry Leslie in 1712. Whilst the Leslie’s were largely absentee landlords, the...

03 February 2011

1595 – Market House, Kinsale, Co. Cork

The old market and court house is now Kinsales museum. With its distinctive dutch gables and slate hung facade, it is a striking design. It was here in 1915 that the inquest ito...

03 February 2011

1838 – Killucan Market House, Co. Westmeath

Fine stone market building with five wide arched opening at ground level with two floors of storage above, reached by an external stair.

25 January 2011

1877 – Market Hall, Barrie, Ontario

The cornerstone for the original Market Square was laid in 1846. Says an account of the day “The cornerstone was laid and after some long speeches, the Royal Anthem was played. Then all...

08 November 2010

1905 – Market Building & Auditorium, Seattle, Washington

Drawing of a market building and auditorium planned for Seattle, Washington c. 1905. Never executed, but Union Station.

03 November 2010

1888 – Redhill Market Hall, Surrey

Architect: Clayton & Black Accepted Design for New Buildings published in The Architect, March 23rd 1888.

30 July 2010

1897 – Market Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

After the First World War, two storeys were added to the building, and converted to civic offices. Demolished in 1964, along with the old City Hall to make way for the City Hall...