Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

market buildings

18 February 2010

1881 – South City Markets, South Great George’s Street, Dublin

Architect: Lockwood & Mawson South City Markets takes up an entire block of the city and is surrounded on all side by a network of small busy commercial streets. The building is heavily...

17 February 2010

1902 – Iveagh Markets, Francis Street, Dublin

Architect: Frederick G. Hicks Dating from 1902, the brick and stone facade hides a large functional cast-iron galleried market hall. In operation until the 1990s its future use is now uncertain. The estimated...

01 February 2010

1873 – Wholesale & Fish Markets, Manchester, Lancashire

Architect: Speakman, Son and Hickson / Mangnall & Littlewood Manchester Corporation decided in the early 1870s to replace the city’s main fish market in Strangeways with a new one located near Shudehill, close...

19 January 2010

1789 – Market House, Tullamore, Co. Offaly

Architect: John Pentland A fine stone building with a ground floor that was originally arcaded with a meeting room above. Unfortunately as in so many cases around the country, the ground level has...

07 January 2010

1796 – The Corn Exchange, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Francis Johnston Originally designed by Francis Johnston who lived in Drogheda from 1786 to 1793 while working on a commission from Primate Robinson. This building today houses Drogheda’s council offices. It is...

06 January 2010

1906 – Market House, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

Unusual market house from the early twentieth century in a curious hybrid of styles. Shown prior to its conversion to a library by deBlacam & Meagher Architects.

31 December 2009

1743 – Dunlavin Market House, Co. Wicklow

Architect: Richard Cassels The market house was built around 1743 and designed by Richard Cassels. Originally a cruciform building, the corners are filled by colonnades. All the archways have now been closed up,...

31 December 2009

1776 – Cornmarket House, Wexford, Co. Wexford

Building of a market house commenced in 1772 by Wexford Corporation and was completed in 1776. The lower windows of today were arched recesses for the traders, a reminder of its market house...

11 December 2009

1829 – Marche Bonsecours, Montreal, Quebec

Architect: William Footner / George Browne The Bonsecours Market’s construction began in 1844, with the Public Market being inaugurated in January 1847. The refurbishment of the market’s interior, under the direction of architect...