Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Midland Great Western Railway

20 March 2014

1878 – Design proposals for Great Western Square, Dublin

Architects: James H. Bridgford & G.P. Beater, John L. Robinson Design proposals for artisan dwellings for the Midland Great Western Railway Company adjacent to Broadstone Station in Dublin. About eighty designs were submitted...

20 January 2014

1847 – Railway Station, Blanchardstown, Co. Dublin

Architect: John Skipton Mulvany Demolished railway station constructed for the Midland Great Western Railway Company. Similar in design to station at Lucan North. Closed in 1934 and the site cleared by the constructed...

15 July 2013

1855 – Railway Station, Edgeworthstown, Co. Longford

Architect: George Wilkinson Constructed for the Midland Great Western Railway Co., and opened in 8th November 1855. Visually similar to many on this network to the northwest of Ireland – a two storey,...

12 June 2013

1860 – Signal Box, Knockcroghery, Co. Roscommon

Knockcroghery railway station opened on 13 February 1860 and closed on 17 June 1963.

15 April 2013

1851 – Railway Station, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: George Wilkinson Designed by George Wilkinson for the Midland Great Western Railway in a picturesque Tudor, complete with a variety of tall chimneys and crisp stonework. Photograph courtesy, and copyright of Keith...

07 February 2013

1915 – Railway Terminus, Blacksod Bay, Co. Mayo

Architect: Hoare & Wheeler Unbuilt proposal for a large railway terminus to serve a trans-atlantic liner terminal that would have seen Liverpool ousted not just as the transatlantic departure point for British passenger...

21 January 2013

1853 – Great Southern Hotel, Galway

Architect: John Skipton Mulvany Begun 1851, for Midland Great Western Railway Co., and designed by J. S. Mulvany who also designed Ceannt Station to which it is attached. Originally three storeys in height,...

14 January 2013

1893 – Corrib Viaduct, Galway

In the 1890s, the Midland Great Western Railway Company was provided with a government grant of £264,000 to build a line from Galway across Connemara to Clifden. The line was opened to Clifden...

13 April 2012

1851 – Former MGWR Station, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Architect: John Skipton Mulvany The MGWR Station or East Station was designed by John Skipton Mulvany and opened in 1851. It closed in 1985 when the station for Athlone was transferred to the...

Pages:12Next »