Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

military architecture

26 June 2014

1603 – St. Augustine’s Fort, Galway

Work began on the Augustinian foundation in Galway in the early 1500s. Located outside the city walls, the lands were seized in 1546 following the dissolution of the monasteries. In 1601, Sir Josias...

11 December 2013

1814 – Richmond Barracks, Inchicore, Dublin

Building of Richmond Barracks started in 1810 and it was occupied by the British Army from 1814. It was named after The 4th Duke of Richmond, Charles Lennox. Described in 1837, “The Richmond...

06 December 2013

1819 – Hyde Park Barracks, Sydney, Australia

Architect: Francis Greenway Designed by convict architect Francis Greenway between 1818–19; originally built at the head of Macquarie Street (1819) to house convict men and boys. In 2010, Hyde Park Barracks and ten...

15 April 2013

1814 – Barrack Block, Tete-De-Pont, Shannonbridge, Co. Roscommon

Tete-de-pont or bridge defences which were constructed during the Napoleonic Wars. The defences were designed to delay a military force approaching from the west from crossing the River Shannon to the eastern side....

07 March 2013

1818 – Former Griffith Barracks, South Circular Road, Dublin

Originally known as the Richmond House of Correction and later the Richmond Bridewell. Opened in 1818 to designs by Francis Johnston, with later work in the 1850 by John Skipton Mulvany. In 1887...

03 January 2013

1814 – Pigeon-House Fort, Dublin

Following temporary military arrangements after the 1798 Rebellion, the Pigeon House Fort was created, and maintained by the Department of War from 1814 to 1897. At its peak, it included gates with drawbridges,...

28 August 2012

1830 – St. Nathy’s College, Ballaghaderreen, Co. Roscommon

St. Nathy’s complex, comprises a school, former barracks and gate lodge. Now used as a school. Detached fourteen-bay three-storey former barracks, established c.1830, with five-bay breakfront with stepped parapet and two-storey gable fronted...

12 June 2012

1879 – Former Military Stables, Arbour Hill, Dublin

Twin rows of cavalry stables to the rear of Collins Barracks with a cobbled central lane. Fine external stonework as the resident engineer, Major Hart, had a preference for cut stone. But when...

15 March 2012

1861 – New Barracks, Chester, Cheshire

Architect: T.M. Penson Published in The Building News, April 12 1861. A barracks for the Cheshire Militia built in the early 1860s on the west side of Castle Esplanade on the site of...

Pages:1234Next »