Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

military architecture

15 March 2012

1861 – New Barracks, Chester, Cheshire

Architect: T.M. Penson Published in The Building News, April 12 1861. A barracks for the Cheshire Militia built in the early 1860s on the west side of Castle Esplanade on the site of...

23 November 2011

1858 – Curragh Camp, Co. Kildare

Architect: George A. Leach These drawings are from the Narrative of Operations in the Arrangement and Formation of A Camp for 10,000 Infantry on the Curragh of Kildare. By the Late Lieut.-Colonel H.W.Lugard....

22 November 2011

1848 – Arbour Hill Garrison Chapel, Dublin

Architect: Richard Cuming Richard Cuming was an Assistant surveyor under Commanding Royal Engineers, and was responsible for designing the garrison chapel at Arbour Hill, Dublin, under the ‘direction’ of Major General Griffith George...

12 March 2011

1650 – Hillsborough Fort, Hillsborough, Co. Down

Artillery fort built in 1650 by Colonel Arthur Hill – the Hill family built the village of Hillsborough starting with the fort. Remodelled in the 18th Century for feasts and entertainment.

13 July 2010

1441 – Torre de Quart, Valencia, Spain

The Quart Towers were a part of this old Christian city wall build in the 14th century but the towers are from the 15th century. The exterior of the monument still shows signs...

30 May 2010

1886 – New Drill Hall, Bolton, Lancashire

Architect: Marshall Robinson Designed for the 3rd Volunteer Brigade Lancashire Division of the Royal Artillary. Interior Perspective View published in The Building News, November 12th 1886.

08 April 2010

1909 – St Bricin’s Military Hospital, Arbour Hill, Dublin

Architect: Harry Meadows Founded as the George V Hospital and designed by the Royal Engineers of the British Army, St Brican’s is still in use as a military hospital by the Irish Army....

19 February 2010

1811 – Ship Street Barracks, Dublin Castle

The offices on ship street were built in the 19th century as accommodation for Army engineers. Over the years they were used for a variety of purposes including training and offices. By the...

05 February 2010

1863 – Garda Officers’ Club, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: Benjamin Woodward This distinguished building in the Phoenix Park Headquarters of the Garda Siochana formerly the Officers’ Mess and now the Garda Officers’ Club, dates from 1863. The plans were drawn by...