Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Monaghan

30 September 2009

1885 – St Louis Convent, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Large complex of building facing a small lake, started in 1859 although a convent had been in operation on this site for some years before. This complex was finally completed in 1959 when...

29 September 2009

1857 – Dawson Monument, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Barre The Dawson Monument was built to commemorate Colonel Dawson – a local landowner who died at the battle of Inkerman in 1854. A tall obelisk designed by W.J. Barre of...

29 September 2009

1855 – Former Savings Bank, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Deane Butler Small detailed bank building with interior accommodation including small porch and banking hall, and small offices.

29 September 2009

1850 – Former Garda Station, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: E.T. Owen / Board of Public Works Like many buildings around the country from the time of the British administration, the former Police Station in Monaghan has an urban legend connected. The...

29 September 2009

1836 – St Patrick’s Church of Ireland, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Farrell Next to the Courthouse is St Patrick’s Church of Ireland – a fine building with aneedle spire, tall lancet windows and pinnacles along its length. According to reports of the...

29 September 2009

1848 – St Macartan’s College, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Thomas Duff St Macartan’s College designed by Thomas Duff is a large building of 17 bays in a restrained classical style and was built as the Diocesan college for Clogher. The centre...

29 September 2009

1836 – Ulster Canal Stores, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Former stores for the now defunct Ulster Canal. Originally fronted by a small harbour and alongside a humpbacked bridge over the canal which provided access to the first floor stores, the building has...

29 September 2009

1829 – Courthouse, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Joseph Welland The Courthouse was probably designed by Joseph Welland and cost around £10,000. A fine building constructed from large blocks of yellowish stone and placed on a plinth of ten steps....

29 September 2009

1858 – Rossmore Castle, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architects: William Vitruvius Morrison / W.H. Lynn Also known as Rossmore Park, Rossmore Castle was a 19th century castle of great size and variety. Originally built in 1827 to the designs of William...