Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Newport

29 January 2015

1892 – Railway Station, Newport, Co. Mayo

The first station on the Westport to Achill Sound extension was Newport which opened in February 1894, on completion of a nearby tunnel at the end of Newport Station. It was closed in...

29 January 2015

1892 – Railway Tunnel, Newport, Co. Mayo

The Westport railway line was extended to Achill Sound in the 1890s. and this was one of the so-called ‘Balfour Lines’, called after Arthur J. Balfour, Chief Secretary for Ireland during the years...

10 April 2014

1883 – Wesleyan Chapel, Stow Hill, Newport, Wales

Architect: W.G. Habershon Now known as Bethel Community Church, and located on the elevated western side of Stow Hill, on the corner of Wesley Place. “The Wesleyan chapel in course of erection at...

06 July 2010

1894 – Semi-Detatched Villas, Newport, Wales

Architect: W.L. Griffith Published in The Building News, October 12th 1894.

30 December 2009

1550c – Rockfleet Castle, Newport, Co. Mayo

Rockfleet Castle or Carraigahowley Castle (Carraig-an-Cabhlaigh), is a tower house near Newport. It was built in the mid 16th century, and is most famously associated with the legendary Grainne ni Mhaille, Grace O’Malley,...

30 December 2009

1469 – Burrishoole Abbey, Newport, Co. Mayo

Burrishoole Abbey was founded in 1469 by Sir Richard De Burgo. Set against the tranquil backdrop of Clew Bay, this Dominican Abbey was active for three hundred years and featured prominently in the...

04 December 2009

1886- Westgate Hotel, Newport, Wales

Architect: E.A. Lansdowne Hotel designed by local architect E.A. Lansdowne. “This building stands on the site of the old Westgate Hotel, at the corner of Stow Hill, and Commercial Street., the foundation stone...

08 June 2009

1882 – Designs for Municipal Buildings, Newport

Architect: E.A. Lansdowne, Thomas M. Lockwood First premiated design in architectural competition to design new municipal buildings to contain a town hall, police court, and a library. Local architect E.A. Lansdowne was later...


Skip to toolbar