Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Newry

21 March 2014

1903 – First Trust Bank, Hill Street, Newry

Architect: Carroll & Batchelor Now a branch of First Trust, a subsidiary of AIB, but constructed for the Provincial Bank of Ireland, costing £3,912.

21 March 2014

1890 – Danske Bank, Marcus Square, Newry

Architect: William J. Watson Originally constructed as a branch of the Belfast Banking Co., which existed until its 1970 merger to form the Northern Bank, now Danske bank. Watson’s design is a three...

01 March 2014

1890 – 39 Hill Street, Newry, Co. Down

Architect: John Brown Now known as Bank Buildings, but in 1898 was a commercial premises for Lee & Son, pianoforte warehouse.

12 February 2014

1898 – Post Office, Newry, Co. Down

Architect: Robert Cochrane Quite grand and imposing post office with residence for a caretaker. Demolished and replaced by a building that can only be described as complete and utter rubbish.

21 March 2013

1894 – Town Hall, Newry, Co. Down

Architect: William Batt Sited on a bridge over the river, and thus straddling the two counties that Newry connects. It took two architectural competitions to decide on a design for the new town...

02 March 2013

2010 – Albert Basin, Newry, Co. Down

Architect: Studio Daniel Libeskind Parker Green International, a developer submitted design proposals as part of a tender bid for the Albert Basin site in Newry. The 15 acre site, which is currently owned...

25 May 2011

1851 – MacNeill’s Egyptian Arch, Newry, Co. Armagh

Architect: Sir John MacNeill Construction was completed in 1851 for the Dublin and Belfast Junction Railway Company and was the result of collaboration between engineer Sir John MacNeill and constructor William Dargan. Locally...