Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Nuremberg

19 January 2010

1900 – Hauptbahnhof, Nuremberg, Bavaria

Architect: Karl Zenger Germany’s first railway line ran between Nuremberg and neighbouring Fuerth. Today Nuremberg is an important station servicing local routes and high speed ICE routes. Externally, the station is a five...

19 January 2010

1806 – St Elisabeth Kirche, Nuremberg, Bavaria

A small classical church with large drum and dome, formerly the private chapel of the Teutonic Order Hospice. The building may have been better looking if the drum had been centrally sited. Sited...

19 January 2010

1718 – Egidienkirche, Nuremberg, Bavaria

Built after the fire that ravaged Nuremberg in 1696, the is the only surviving Baroque church in the city. The interior contains remains of the previous church on the site – some small...

19 January 2010

1622 – Rathaus, Nuremberg, Bavaria

Architect: Jakob Wolff Behind this Renaissance palazzo, is an older Gothic Rathaus built in 1332-40. As Nuremberg became wealthier and more important, it was felt that a new and grander Rathaus (Townhall) was...

19 January 2010

1502 – Mauthalle, Nuremberg, Bavaria

Architect: Hans Beheim In times of war or siege, walled cities needed food supplies. This was one of seven large granaries in the Aldstadt in Nuremberg. It also housed the city’s municipal scales...

19 January 2010

1420 – Albrecht Dürer House, Nuremberg, Bavaria

A native Nuremberger, Albrecht Dürer lived here from 1509 until his death in 1528. The house was bought by the city in 1828. Typical of the half-timbered burghers’ houses of the 15th century,...

19 January 2010

1385 – Schöner Brunnen, Nuremberg, Bavaria

The Schöner Brunnen or “Beautiful Fountain” was erected around 1385 but was replaced by a replica in the early 20th century. It has a sixty-two foot spire set into an octagonal pool. The...

19 January 2010

1280 – Nassauer Haus, Nuremberg, Bavaria

A fine residential building facings St Lorenz Kirche in central Nuremberg. Originally built as a fortified residence, previous occupiers have added to the building as the security aspect of the building became less...

19 January 2010

1331 – Hellig Geist Spital, Nuremberg, Bavaria

In the centre of Nuremberg, alongside the river Pegnitz, is the Hospital of the Holy Spirit. Originally founded in 1332, the wing that spans the river was added between 1488 and 1527. The...

19 January 2010

1477 – St Lorenz Kirche, Nuremberg, Bavaria

Begun in 1270, St Lorenz Kirche took more than 200 years to complete. An important part of the Nuremberg skyline, its twin spires flank the main west doorway. The doorway sculptures depict the...