Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

O’Connell Street Dublin

07 April 2010

1973 – Fingal County Council, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: Arthur Swift & Partners Truly horrendous L-shaped building that replaced several good 19th century houses and a commercial building by William G. Murray. Slated for demolition itself after barely forty years. The...

07 April 2010

1959 – Dublin Bus, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: Brendan Ellis & G.P. O’Shea An infill building on the western side of O’Connell Street, the Dublin Bus offices was originally built for its parent company Coras Iompair Eireann. The fa├žade features...

07 April 2010

1932 – Former Carlton Cinema, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: Robinson Keefe One of Dublin’s finest Art Deco facades, the former Carlton Cinema has been closed for over a decade and is not awaiting demolition. A proposal to move the facade is...

07 April 2010

1922 – Allied Irish Banks, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: Batchelor & Hicks A fine bank building, finished in high quality stonework, that neatly turns the corner onto Parnell Street. Constructed after damage during the Irish Civil War to the top end...

07 April 2010

1929 – Savoy Cinema, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: F.C. Mitchell Designed in the same stripped Classical style as the adjacent Gresham Hotel and Hammam Chambers, the Savoy was once one of the great “atmospherics” – the massive interior decorated on...

07 April 2010

1927 – Gresham Hotel, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: Robert Atkinson Rebuilt (1925-27) after the ravages of the Civil War, the Gresham Hotel is a Dublin landmark. It was designed by Robert Atkinson (b Wigton, Cumbria, 1 Aug 1883; d London,...

07 April 2010

1926 – Hammam Building, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: Chillingworth & Levie / H.G. Leask Part of the post-1916 rebuilding of this part of O’Connell Street, quite an austere facade with some nice detailing. Named after the Hammam Family Hotel and...

07 April 2010

1925 – No.23 Upper O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: W.H. Byrne & Son Rebuilt in 1925 for a seeds merchant Sir J.W. Mackay whose store was destroyed during a bombardment of the nearby Gresham Hotel in the Civil War in 1922....

07 April 2010

1924 – No. 57 Upper O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: H.V. Millar No. 57 (right hand building in photograph) was rebuilt in 1922 as a chemist shop for A. & R. Thwaites, whose name can still be seen incised on the granite...