Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

O’Connell Street Dublin

07 April 2010

1927 – Gresham Hotel, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: Robert Atkinson Rebuilt (1925-27) after the ravages of the Civil War, the Gresham Hotel is a Dublin landmark. It was designed by Robert Atkinson (b Wigton, Cumbria, 1 Aug 1883; d London,...

07 April 2010

1926 – Hammam Building, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: Chillingworth & Levie / H.G. Leask Part of the post-1916 rebuilding of this part of O’Connell Street, quite an austere facade with some nice detailing. Named after the Hammam Family Hotel and...

07 April 2010

1925 – No.23 Upper O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: W.H. Byrne & Son Rebuilt in 1925 for a seeds merchant Sir J.W. Mackay whose store was destroyed during a bombardment of the nearby Gresham Hotel in the Civil War in 1922....

07 April 2010

1924 – No. 57 Upper O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: H.V. Millar No. 57 (right hand building in photograph) was rebuilt in 1922 as a chemist shop for A. & R. Thwaites, whose name can still be seen incised on the granite...

07 April 2010

1814 – General Post Office, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: Francis Johnston Built in 1814 and sited in the centre of Dublin’s main thoroughfare – O’Connell Street, the General Post Office was designed by Francis Johnston. Originally the building was faced by...

07 April 2010

1920 – Clery’s Department Store, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: Ashlin & Coleman A Dublin landmark – opposite the General Post Office on O’Connell Street, Clery’s has for generations being a Dublin and indeed Irish tradition – meeting under the clock being...

07 April 2010

1925 – Nos. 9-11 Upper O’Connell Street, Dublin

Plain granite finished building whose sole decorative feature is the corner to Cathedral Street and a rather clumsy balcony.

07 April 2010

1753 – No.42 Upper O’Connell Street, Dublin

The last remnant of the Georgian era of O’Connell Street, No. 42 is now part of the hotel next door.

07 April 2010

1863 – No. 60 Upper O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: William G. Murray Built as the Colonial Insurance Company in 1863, this office building has a fine streetlevel stone facade unfortunately painted in rather garish colours. An exercise in Ruskinian gothic, the...