Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ontario

29 November 2011

1877 – St Patrick’s Church, Hamilton, Ontario

Architect: Joseph Connolly Joseph Connolly who was born in Limerick, received his training in the Dublin office of James Joseph McCarthy (1817-81). McCarthy specialized in work for the Roman Catholic Church, and was...

20 April 2011

2010 – Durham Consolidated Courthouse, Oshawa, Ontario

Architect: WZMH Architects With its richly patterned cladding of spandrel and clear glass and carefully scaled massing, the Durham Consolidated Courthouse makes a significant contribution to the emerging urban framework of downtown Oshawa....

11 December 2009

1844 – St. James’ Cathedral, Toronto, Ontario

Architect: Frederick Cumberland The Cathedral Church of St. James in Toronto is the oldest congregation in the city. Established in 1797, the current structure was completed in 1844 and was one of the...

11 December 2009

1844 – Osgoode Hall, Toronto, Ontario

Architect: John Ewart / Henry Bower Lane / Frederick Cumberland & William G. Storm The original two and a half storey building was started in 1829 and finished in 1832 from a design...

11 December 2009

1845 – Former Commercial Bank of Midland, Toronto, Ontario

Architect: William Thomas Dismantled, moved from its original site, and reassembled to front a modern office building placed in the weird surroundings of Santiago Calatrava’s Galleria at BCE Place. The former Commercial Bank...

11 December 2009

1847 – Holy Trinity Church, Toronto, Ontario

Architect: Henry Bower Lane The Church of the Holy Trinity opened in 1847 following the gift of an anonymous donor (later revealed as Mary Lambert Swale of Settle, England). Mrs. Swale had stipulated...

11 December 2009

1850 – St Lawrence Hall, Toronto, Ontario

Architect: William Thomas St. Lawrence Hall is a meeting hall in Toronto, Canada next to the St. Lawrence Market. It was built, alongside the new city hall, in 1850 after a fire destroyed...

11 December 2009

1853 – 10 Toronto Street, Toronto, Ontario

Architect: Frederick Cumberland In the mid 19th century with Toronto growing rapidly a new more modern post office was needed as the 6th Post Office (1845-1852) on Wellington just west of Leader Lane...

11 December 2009

1876 – St Andrews Presbyterian Church, Toronto, Ontario

Architect: William G. Storm / S.G. Curry St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church is located on King St. at Simcoe. It was designed by architect George Storm (also known as William G. Storm) who also...