Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ontario

10 December 2009

1960s – Notre Dame Du Portage Presbytery, Kenora, Ontario

Architect: Earl A. Nelson Interesting modernist building constructed alongside the earlier church. A similar styled extension has also been added to the church.

10 December 2009

1924 – War Memorial, Kenora, Ontario

Architect: Creber Bros Cenotaph commemorating the dead of the First World War completed in 1924.

10 December 2009

1911 – Land Registry Building, Kenora, Ontario

Architect: Frank R. Heakes Built as the Land Registry Building and used as such until 1964 when the province constructed a new building. It was designed by Frank Heakes, who was chief architect...

10 December 2009

1910 – Courthouse, Kenora, Ontario

Architect: Frank R. Heakes Solid local and regional courthouse in an institutionalised version of Edwardian. Not particularly interesting if not for the unusual central tower. Designed by Frank Heakes, who was chief architect...

10 December 2009

1910 – Whistling Monkey Bar (Former Imperial Bank of Canada), Kenora, Ontario

Architects: Darling & Pearson Solid stone bank building in a vaguely Scottish Baronial style, now converted into a bar. Site of a celebrated bank robbery.

10 December 2009

1917 – St. Alban’s Cathedral, Kenora, Ontario

Architect: Arthur J. Wills A small Anglican Cathedral, the head of the Diocese of Keewatin, with a fine but short tower and spire. Built to replace a previous cathedral of 1892 by Winnipeg...

10 December 2009

1910 – Kenricia Hotel, Kenora, Ontario

Architect: Frank Newell Now slightly down-at-heel, this once fine hotel is on Kenora’s Main Street and overlooks the lake. The building dominates the streetscape with its striking brickwork. Unfortunate alterations have been made...

10 December 2009

1898 – City Hall, Kenora, Ontario

Architect: David Ewart Built from 1897 onwards, and designed to be the town Post Office and Customs Post, this fine structure opened to the public in 1900. It has now been restored and...

10 December 2009

1890 – Notre Dame Du Portage Church, Kenora, Ontario

Architect: Senecal & Papineau Founded in 1890, on Christmas Eve 1914 fire totally destroyed the interior, leaving only the granite walls standing. Within the space of a year the parishioners had the church...