Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

O’Neill & Byrne

28 May 2014

1877 – St. Finian’s Church & School, Falcarragh, Co. Donegal

Architect: O’Neill & Byrne ‘ Design for new church with proposed school and presbytery. Although the school was built largely as illustrated, the presbytery was not constructed. The church was built albeit minus...

06 May 2014

1876 – Additions to St. Teresa’s Church, Clarendon Street, Dublin

Architect: O’Neill & Byrne From the late 18th century onwards, many architects have put their mark on the Carmelite church on Clarendon Street. O’Neill & Byrne’s work between 1869 and 1877 was a...

12 April 2014

1876 – Laurence Egan’s, 87 North King Street, Dublin

Architect: O’Neill & Byrne This fine Victorian commercial premises still stands on North King Street, although hardly recognisable underneath modern signage, shop fronts and garish paint. The doorway to the right of the...

03 May 2011

1880 – St. Joseph’s Carmelite Church, Berkeley Road, Dublin

Architect: O’Neill & Byrne / John L. Robinson Construction started in 1875 and the church was largely completed and consecrated in 1880. The North-Western bell tower was constructed between 1892-3 to the designs...

07 January 2010

1880 – St Peter’s Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: O’Neill & Byrne The centerpiece of Drogheda north of the Boyne is the tall and graceful French Gothic church by O’Neill & Byrne. Set into the hillside, it is approached up a...

30 September 2009

1875 – Bank of Ireland, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: O’Neill & Byrne Formerly the Hibernian Bank – the Bank of Ireland is a good example of the bank’s campaign to attract catholic wealth in the late 19th century. This was done...

25 September 2009

1875 – St Michael’s Roman Catholic Church, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: O’Neill & Byrne Largely built between 1870-75 to just above the belfry – the spire was added more recently. The interior is large and gloomy with some interesting pieces including: a William...

17 September 2009

1878 – South City Markets, South Great George’s Street, Dublin

Architect: O’Neill & Byrne Second placed entry to design the South City Markets on Great Georges Street. The original was badly damaged by a serious fire in 1892, the adaption was handled by...

06 June 2009

William Henry Byrne (1844-1917)

Studied under J.J. McCarthy before establishing a partnership with John O’Neill as O’Neill & Byrne in 1869. After the death of O’Neill in 1883, he practised alone as W.H. Byrne until 1902. He...