Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Ontario

14 January 2014

1906 – Normal School, Hamilton, Ontario

Architect: Frank R. Heakes Almost identical to other Normal Schools constructed in Stratford, and North Bay, Ontario at the same time. The Normal Schools, renamed Teachers’ Colleges in 1953, were designed to train...

06 January 2014

1883 – Canada Life Assurance Co., Hamilton, Ontario

Architect: Richard Waite Former head office building of the Canada Life Assurance Company, which was founded in Hamilton. Later known as the Birks Building. Demolished in 1972 amid much protest in the city.

04 January 2014

1896 – Collegiate Institute & Normal College, Hamilton, Ontario

Architect: William Stewart When it opened in 1896, it was known as the Collegiate Institute and Ontario Normal College. The Normal College was ateacher training school, and was relocated from this building in...

31 January 2013

1860 – Design for Government Buildings, Ottawa, Canada

Architect: Stent & Laver In May 1859 proposals were invited for Ottawa’s intended parliamentary and departmental buildings and governor general’s residence. The first premium for the design of the departmental buildings, now known...

25 January 2013

1905 – Public Library, St. Catharines, Ontario

St. Catharines established a free public library in 1888. The library board received a $25,000 gift from Andrew Carnegie in December 1901. Its new building opened to the public on 2 January 1905....

26 January 2012

1873 – Post Office, Adelaide St., Toronto

Architect: Henry Langley Designed by Henry Langley, the architect reponsible for a large collection of city churches, and built between 1869 and 1873, The GPO stood at 36 Adelaide Street West, the head...

26 January 2012

1874 – International Order of Odd Fellows, London, Ontario

A commercial building containing the lodge of the International Order of Odd Fellows on the upper floors and a branch of A. & S. Nordheimer Co at street level. A. & S. Nordheimer...

26 January 2012

1873 – The Custom House, London, Ontario

Architect: William Robinson Designed by the architect William Robinson in a restrained Second Empire style. The building which opened in 1873 was demolished in the early 1970s. S

26 January 2012

1869 – Hellmuth Ladies’ College, London, Ontario

Founded in 1869 by the Rt. Rev. Isaac Hellmuth, second Bishop of the Diocese of Huron, and opened on September 23 of that year by H.R.H. Prince Arthur, the Duke of Connaught. Overlooking...