Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

orphanages

12 January 2016

1840 – Gywn’s Institution, Brooke Park, Derry

Architect: Samuel Jackman John Gwyn was a local businessman, who was born near Muff in County Donegal in 1754. He later moved to Derry with his mother and began a grocery business in...

08 January 2015

1878 – St. Vincent de Paul Orphanage, Glasnevin, Dublin

Architect: John Sterling Butler / John L. Robinson Opened in 1857, where the apartments in Dalcassian Downs now stand. This had accommodation for 150 boys and also provided school facilities. Known as St...

04 March 2013

1884 – All Saints Boys Orphanage, Lewisham, Kent

Architect: E.L. Swatman All Saints Boys’ Orphanage was opened in 1886, and had accommodation for 120 boys. Published in The Building News, July 11th 1884.

12 February 2013

1868 – Warehousemen and Clerks’ Orphan Schools, Manchester

Architect: Ernest Bates Formed as The Manchester Warehousemen and Clerks’ Orphan Schools in 1855, moved to this site in 1869, and now known as Cheadle Hulme School. From The Building News: “ONE of...

16 January 2013

1871 – St. Joseph’s Orphanage, Schaerbeek, Bruxelles, Belgium

Architect: E. Carpentier Published in The Building News, October 27 1871