Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Oxford

28 September 2009

1880 – New Boat House, Oxford, Oxfordshire

Architect: John Oldrid Scott “The boat- house is now being built for the Oxford University Boat Club by Mr. Silver, of Maiden- head. The lower story consists of the boat-house proper, about 70ft....

13 September 2009

1881 – Proposed Quadrangle, Magdalen College, Oxford, Oxfordshire

Architect: Basil Champneys “The drawing published shows the street facade of a proposed now quadrangle for Magdalen College, Oxford. It was submitted by Mr. Basil Champneys in a competition to which Messrs. Street,...

24 August 2009

1881 – Cricket Pavilion for Oxford University, Oxfordshire

Architect: T.G. Jackson “The new pavilion for the use of the Oxford University Cricket Club is built in the Parks, where a new cricket-ground has been lately formed. The building is designed by...

08 July 2009

1881 – Master’s Lodge, University College, Oxford

Architect: Bodley & Garner “This new building has been recently erected from the design of Messrs. G.F. Bodley and T. Garner, architects. It is of somewhat considerable size. “Brown’s Library” was left to...

08 July 2009

1882 – New Examination Schools, Oxford

Architect: T.G. Jackson The Examination Schools were designed by Thomas Graham Jackson, Oxford’s most famous 19th century architect, in 1876 and their construction was completed in 1882. Sir Thomas Newenham Deane actually won...

08 July 2009

1881 – New High School for Girls, Oxford

Architect: T.G. Jackson The school began life on November 3, 1875, with twenty-nine girls and three teachers under headmistress Ada Benson, at the Judge’s Lodgings (St Giles’ House) at 16 St Giles’, central...

08 July 2009

1898 – The Old White House, Oxford, Oxfordshire

Architect: H.T. Hare “This building was erected to take the place of an interesting old house, which still remains in the Tear. The materials used are rubble stone walling, with Doulting stone dressings...

08 July 2009

1860 – Oxford University Museum, Oxfordshire

Architect: Deane & Woodward The neo-Gothic building, one of the finest in Britain, was designed by the Irish architects Thomas Newenham Deane and Benjamin Woodward. Directly influenced by the writings of critic John...

08 July 2009

1879 – Interior of Large Hall, Examination Schools, Oxford

Architect: T.G. Jackson The Examination Schools were designed by Thomas Graham Jackson and were completed in 1882. They were Jackson’s first major commission and set the scene for his transformation of Oxford’s academic...