Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Oxfordshire

21 July 2010

1869 – St. John the Evangelist Church, Hailey, Oxfordshire

Architect: Clapton C. Rolfe Designed by the young architect Clapton Crabb Rolfe, whose father Rev. George Crabb Rolfe was the Vicar. The Oxford Diocesan Architect George Edmund Street condemned Rolfe’s first designs as...

20 July 2010

1866 – Bignell House, Chesterton, Oxfordshire

Architect: William Wilkinson Designed by architect William Wilkinson it took six years to construct and was completed in 1866 at a cost of £5,500. Sadly, only the nursery wing, which was added to...

13 July 2010

1902 – House at Oxford

Architect: H.T. Hare Perspective view including ground plan published in The Building News, May 2nd 1902.

25 June 2010

1863 – Parsonage, Chadlington, Oxfordshire

“This house, which has just been completed, has been built by the late Mr. J. H. Langston, M.P. for the city of Oxford, of Saraden House, near Chipping Norton. The village is a...

29 May 2010

1887 – New Quadrangle, Trinity College, Oxford

Architect: T.G. Jackson Published in The Building News, July 1st 1887.

16 April 2010

1887 – Somerville Hall, Oxford, Oxfordshire

Architect: H. Wilkinson Moore Published in The Building News, September 9th 1887. Built as a hall of residence for female students, or as the magazine so elegantly put it, “lady students”.

12 April 2010

1887 – Parish Buildings, St. Giles’s, Oxford

Architect: H. Wilkinson Moore In June 1860, the college sold some land in lots for building along the west side of the Woodstock Road, but in the next month the first real step...

09 March 2010

1869 – Balliol College, Oxford

Architect: Alfred Waterhouse Description published in The Architect and Contract Reporter, January 2 1869, written by the architect Alfred Waterhouse. [Mr. Editor,"”You have requested me to give you a short description of the...

21 December 2009

1886 – Oriel College Chapel, Oxford, Oxfordshire

Architect: T.G. Jackson Sketch showing proposed extension of choir & new organ, which was published in The Building News, April 11th 1884.