Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Paris

25 November 2009

1919 – Basilique du Sacré-Coeur, Paris

Architect: Paul Abadie Jr Probably the best site for a building in Paris, the Basilique du Sacré-Coeur can be seen from most parts of the city because of its height and gleaming white...

25 November 2009

1836 – Arc de Triomphe, Paris

Architect: Jean François Thérèse Chalgrin 50 metres high and 45 metres wide, the Arc de Triomphe sits at the junction of twelve streets as a monument to the glory of the French Army....

25 November 2009

1899 – Metro Stations, Paris

Architect: Hector Guimard Although most have been modernised, some of Paris’s metro stations still retain their Art Nouveau inspired entrances. In 1899 there was a competition to design the entrances, but the President...

25 November 2009

1900 – Musée d’Orsay, Paris

Architect: Victor Laloux The Orsay station, the masterpiece of modernism and industry in 1900 greatly influenced the architecture of American stations. Yet it was soon obsolete and was used for varied purposes: it...

25 November 2009

1683 – St. Thomas d’Aquin, Paris

Architect: Pierre Bullet Originally a Dominican monastery, the church of St Thomas Aquineas was built in nine months although the facade was later finished between 1765 and 1770. The main facade is a...

25 November 2009

1913 – Galleries Lafayette Department Store, Paris

Architect: Georges Chédanne & F. Chanut Originally there were two of these amazing spaces, but the second was removed in the 1950s. 35 metres tall, it is a riot of Art Nouveau decoration,...

25 November 2009

1659 – Hôtel Salé (Museum Picasso), Paris

Architect: Jean Bouiller de Bourges Now converted to the Picasso Museum, this former mansion was built for Pierre Albert, Seigneur de Fontenay. It was built between 1656-59. The house has a fine gateway...

25 November 2009

1840 – Place de la Bastille, Paris

Architect: Jean Antoine Alavoine Previously the site of the Bastille, the fortress built by Charles V between 1370-82. This was removed around 1789, and Napoleon commissioned a fountain for the site. This later...

25 November 2009

1868 – Palais de Justice, Paris

Architects: Joseph L. Duc & Honoré Daumet Part of the much larger Conciergerie complex, this extension of the Palais de Justice was built between 1857-68. It faces a small tree filled square –...