Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Pennsylvania

15 September 2009

1970 – U.S. Steel Tower, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Architect: Harrison & Abramovitz In the initial planning stages, the U.S. Steel Corporation seriously considered making this development the world’s tallest building as an endorsement of their industry. When completed in 1970 Pittsburgh’s...

15 September 2009

1936 – Cathedral of Learning, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Architect: Charles Z. Klauder The building is set in a terraced lawn at the University of Pittsburgh campus on the city’s east side. The first gallery, the Nationality Rooms, commemorate the nationalities making...

15 September 2009

1938 – Heinz Memorial Chapel, Pittsburgh

Architect: Charles Z. Klauder The Heinz Memorial Chapel began as a gift. Henry John Heinz, the founder of the H. J. Heinz Company, wanted to honor his mother, Anna Margaretta Heinz, with “a...

15 September 2009

1893 – Penn Station, Pittsburgh

Architect: D.H. Burnham & Company Pittsburgh’s central train station, built in 1893, was designed by Daniel Burnham, a Chicago architect who also designed New York’s iconic Flatiron building. The Rotunda is the highlight...

15 September 2009

1891 – St. Stanislaus Church, Pittsburgh

Architect: Frederick Sauer Designed by Pittsburgh architect Frederick Sauer, St. Stanislaus Kostka Church was constructed in 1891. The congregation was formed in 1873 when 200 Polish families banded together to form the St....

15 September 2009

1891 – Philadelphia Museum of Art

Architect: Hermann J. Schwarzmann In March 1873, an act of the Pennsylvania State Legislature set in motion plans for the construction of Memorial Hall to be designed by Hermann J. Schwarzmann, which was...

15 September 2009

1833 – Merchant’s Exchange, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Architect: William Strickland Designed by rising architect William Strickland. He was the architect of the steeple on Independence Hall, the U.S. Naval Asylum, and the U.S. Mint. From 1828 to 1833, Strickland designed...

15 September 2009

1797 – First National Bank, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Architect: Samuel Blodgett The First Bank of the United States, originally called the Bank of the United States, operated from 1797-1811, on Third Street, midway between Chestnut and Walnut streets. Samuel Blodgett, architect,...

30 July 2009

1892 – The Duquesne Club House, Pittsburg, Pennsylvania

Architects: Longfellow, Alden & Harlow