Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Phoenix Park Dublin

10 October 2013

1920s – Phoenix Park Racecourse, Dublin

Phoenix Park Racecourse was located on the northern edge of the Phoenix Park in Dublin. Founded by J.H.H. Peard, racing began here in 1902, closed for racing in late 1990. The racecourse had...

03 October 2013

1932 – Eucharistic Conference, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: John J. Robinson The 31st International Eucharistic Congress, held in Dublin 22–26 June 1932, was one of the largest eucharistic congresses of the 20th century. The final public mass of the congress...

03 January 2013

1880 – Field-Marshal Gough Statue, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Sculptor: John Henry Foley The statue was proposed in 1869, but Dublin Corporation turned down the various sites proposed including the then Carlisle Bridge, Foster Place and Westmoreland Street. At one stage, a...

04 January 2012

1856 – Design for Wellington Testimonial, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: Sir Robert Smirke “Of all the public monuments hitherto raised in honor of the Duke of Wellington, that of the Citizens of Dublin is, if not the most graceful, at least the...

07 March 2011

1966 – Design for John F. Kennedy Memorial Hall, Dublin

Architect: Raymond McGrath The John F. Kennedy Memorial Hall was intended to be a purpose built concert hall for Dublin. Originally suggested by the Arts Council, the project was initially discussed in April...

05 February 2010

1999 – Dublin Zoo Entrance, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: Scott Tallon Walker This is the current entrance building situated just down the road from the two previous entrances to the zoo. A very modern structure, the roof seems to float over...

05 February 2010

1892 – Roberts House, Dublin Zoo, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: L.A. McDonnell The finest building in the zoo, this little gem is still in use and maintained in good condition. A decorative brick exterior masks a wonderful toplit interior space with fine...

05 February 2010

1899 – Haughton House, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: L.A. McDonnell The building of 1898 was surrounded for many years by poor quality extensions, only the architectural detail around the roof and eaves could be discerned. Built as the Haughton Memorial...

05 February 2010

1833 – Original Entrance, Dublin Zoo, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: William Deane Butler There have been three turnstile entrances to the Zoo grounds. This, the earliest of them, is a quaint little cottage ornee with thatched roof.

Pages:1234Next »