Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Quebec

16 December 2009

1850 – Soeurs de la Charité de Québec Chapel, Quebec City, Quebec

Architect: Charles Baillairgé In 1850, the SÅ“urs de la Charité de Québec community asked Charles Baillairgé to carry out the architectural plans of a chapel. Though the chapel has been ravaged by fire...

16 December 2009

1850 – Institute Canadian, Quebec City, Quebec

Built as a Wesleyan Church in 1849-50. In the twentieth century, Congregationalist, Methodist and Presbyterian churches throughout the country merged in 1925 to form The United Church of Canada. In Quebec City, Chalmers...

16 December 2009

1847 – Archbishop’s Residence, Quebec City, Quebec

Architect: Thomas Baillargé The construction of the Archbishop’s residence began in 1844 and was completed in 1847. It was built following the plans of architect Thomas Baillargé. In 1903, François-Xavier Berlinguet was put...

16 December 2009

1832 – Former St. Patrick’s Church, Quebec City, Quebec

Architect: Thomas Baillargé A church built by the Irish population and the only English speaking catholic parish in Quebec. In 1831, a lot was purchased on Sainte-Hélène street, in Upper Town, inside the...

16 December 2009

1824 – Conservatoire d’art dramatique, Quebec City, Quebec

Architect: George Blaiklock Based on plans by George Blaiklock, the first Neo-classical architect in Quebec, the Conservatoire d’art dramatique was originally built as Trinity Chapel-of-ease. Paid for by the Chief Justice Jonathan Sewell...

16 December 2009

1817 – Jesuit Church, Quebec City, Quebec

Architect: Thomas Baillargé Following the plans of architect Francois Baillargé, the construction of the chapel began in 1817. After the Jesuits returned to Canada in 1849, they were asked to assume the direction...

16 December 2009

1810 – St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Quebec City, Quebec

The oldest Presbyterian congregation in North America, received in 1802, in response to a petition signed by 148 persons the present Church site granted by George III, although it was not until 1809...

16 December 2009

1808 – Morrin College, Quebec City, Quebec

Architect: Thomas Baillargé In the days of New France, the Royal Redoubt, stood on the site of the Morrin Centre. These enclosed defensive works were adjacent to the original city walls. Initially used...

16 December 2009

1804 – Holy Trinity Anglican Cathedral, Quebec City, Quebec

Architect: Captain Hall and Major William Robe Designed in the neoclassic Palladian style, the Cathedral was modeled after the famous church of St. Martin-in-the-fields in Trafalgar Square, London. King George III paid for...